Method Overloading is an example of Compile time polymorphism. In this, more than one method of the same class shares the same method name having different signatures. Method overloading is used to add more to the behavior of methods and there is no need of more than one class for method overloading.
Note: Python does not support method overloading. We may overload the methods but can only use the latest defined method.
11 Hi Geeks
Method overriding is an example of run time polymorphism. In this, the specific implementation of the method that is already provided by the parent class is provided by the child class. It is used to change the behavior of existing methods and there is a need for at least two classes for method overriding. In method overriding, inheritance always required as it is done between parent class(superclass) and child class(child class) methods.
Example of Method Overriding in python:
Modified version of feature_1 of class A by class B
Difference between Method Overloading and Method Overriding in Python:
|S.NO||Method Overloading||Method Overriding|
|1.||In the method overloading, methods or functions must have the same name and different signatures.||Whereas in the method overriding, methods or functions must have the same name and same signatures.|
|2.||Method overloading is a example of compile time polymorphism.||Whereas method overriding is a example of run time polymorphism.|
|3.||In the method overloading, inheritance may or may not be required.||Whereas in method overriding, inheritance always required.|
|4.||Method overloading is performed between methods within the class.||Whereas method overriding is done between parent class and child class methods.|
|5.||It is used in order to add more to the behavior of methods.||Whereas it is used in order to change the behavior of exist methods.|
|6.||In method overloading, there is no need of more than one class.||Whereas in method overriding, there is need of at least of two classes.|
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- Difference between Method Overloading and Method Overriding in Java
- Function Overloading vs Function Overriding in C++
- Method Overriding in Python
- Overriding Nested Class members in Python
- Overriding the save method - Django Models
- Python | Method Overloading
- Concatenate two strings using Operator Overloading in Python
- Operator Overloading in Python
- Function overloading with singledispatch-functools
- Difference between 'and' and '&' in Python
- Difference between Method and Function in Python
- Difference between __sizeof__() and getsizeof() method - Python
- Python set operations (union, intersection, difference and symmetric difference)
- Python | Difference between iterable and iterator
- Difference between List and Array in Python
- Python | Difference between Pandas.copy() and copying through variables
- Difference between List comprehension and Lambda in Python
- Difference between Python and C#
- Difference between C and Python
- Python | Difference Between List and Tuple
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : anks005