Prerequisite – Types of area networks – LAN, MAN and WAN
Metropolitan Area Network (MAN):
MAN covers the largest area than LAN such as: Small towns, City etc. MAN connects 2 or a lot of computers that area unit apart however resides within the same or completely different cities. MAN is expensive and should or might not be owned by one organization.
Wide Area Network (WAN):
WAN covers the large area than LAN as well as MAN such as: Country/Continent etc. WAN is expensive and should or might not be owned by one organization. PSTN or Satellite medium are used for wide area network.
Let’s see the difference between MAN and WAN:
|1.||MAN stands for Metropolitan Area Network.||WAN stands for Wide area network.|
|2.||MAN might not be owned by one organization.||While WAN also might not be owned by one organization.|
|3.||There is moderate propagation delay in MAN.||Whereas there is long propagation delay.|
|4.||The transmission speed of MAN is faster than WAN.||While the transmission speed of WAN is low.|
|5.||MAN’s design and maintenance is difficult than LAN.||While WAN’s design and maintenance is also difficult than LAN as well MAN.|
|6.||There is less noise and error in MAN in comparison of WAN.||While there is more noise and error in WAN than LAN and MAN.|
|7.||MAN covers more area than LAN but less than WAN.||While WAN covers very huge area than LAN and MAN.|
|8.||MAN supports moderate bandwidth for transfer of data.||WAN supports a bandwidth of low range.|
|9.||Cost of installation of MAN is moderate.||Cost of installation is very high as compared to LAN and MAN.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Traditional WAN and SD WAN
- Difference between LAN, MAN and WAN
- Types of area networks - LAN, MAN and WAN
- Difference between LAN and WAN
- Difference between WAN and WWAN
- Difference between LAN and MAN
- MAN Full Form in Computer Networking
- MAN Full Form
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between Stop and Wait, GoBackN and Selective Repeat
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
- Difference between Yaacomo and and XAP
- Difference between VoIP and and POTS
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p
- Difference Between DOS and Windows
- Difference between User Level thread and Kernel Level thread
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
- Difference between Priority Inversion and Priority Inheritance
- What’s difference between Linux and Android ?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.