Prerequisite – Types of area networks – LAN, MAN and WAN
Metropolitan Area Network (MAN):
MAN covers the largest area than LAN such as: Small towns, City etc. MAN connects 2 or a lot of computers that area unit apart however resides within the same or completely different cities. MAN is expensive and should or might not be owned by one organization.
Wide Area Network (WAN):
WAN covers the large area than LAN as well as MAN such as: Country/Continent etc. WAN is expensive and should or might not be owned by one organization. PSTN or Satellite medium are used for wide area network.
Let’s see that the difference between MAN and WAN:
|1.||MAN stands for Metropolitan Area Network.||WAN stands for Wide area network.|
|2.||MAN might not be owned by one organization.||While WAN also might not be owned by one organization.|
|3.||There is moderate propagation delay in MAN.||Whereas there is long propagation delay.|
|4.||The transmission speed of MAN is faster than WAN.||While the transmission speed of WAN is low.|
|5.||MAN’s design and maintenance is difficult than LAN.||While WAN’s design and maintenance is also difficult than LAN as well MAN.|
|6.||There is less noise and error in MAN in comparison of WAN.||While there is more noise and error in WAN than LAN and WAN.|
- What's difference between MMU and MPU?
- Difference between RPC and RMI
- Difference between JSP and ASP
- Difference Between SEO and SEM
- Difference between H.323 and SIP
- Difference between CPU and GPU
- What is the difference between GUI and CUI?
- Difference between LAN and WAN
- Difference between LAN, MAN and WAN
- Difference between LAN and MAN
- Difference between TDM and FDM
- Difference between CD and DVD
- Difference between OOP and POP
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p
- Difference between Blu-ray and DVD
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.