Both MAC Address and IP Address are used to uniquely defines a device on the internet. NIC Card’s Manufacturer provides the MAC Address, on the other hand Internet Service Provider provides IP Address.
The main difference between MAC and IP address is that, MAC Address is used to ensure the physical address of computer. It uniquely identifies the devices on a network. While IP address are used to uniquely identifies the connection of network with that device take part in a network.
Let’s see the difference between MAC Address and IP Address:
|S.NO||MAC Address||IP Address|
|1.||MAC Address stands for Media Access Control Address.||IP Address stands for Internet Protocol Address.|
|2.||MAC Address is a six byte hexadecimal address.||IP Address is either four byte (IPv4) or six byte (IPv6) address.|
|3.||A device attached with MAC Address can retrieve by ARP protocol.||A device attached with IP Address can retrieve by RARP protocol.|
|4.||NIC Card’s Manufacturer provides the MAC Address.||Internet Service Provider provides IP Address.|
|5.||MAC Address is used to ensure the physical address of computer.||IP Address is the logical address of the computer.|
|6.||MAC Address operates in the data link layer.||IP Address operates in the network layer.|
|7.||MAC Address helps in simply identifying the device.||IP Address identifies the connection of the device on the network.|
|8.||MAC Address of computer cannot be changed with time and environment.||IP Address modifies with the time and environment.|
|9.||MAC Address can’t be found easily by third party.||IP Address can be found by third party.|
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Difference Between Network Address Translation (NAT) and Port Address Translation (PAT)
- Difference between 3-address instruction and 1-address instruction
- Difference between 3-address instruction and 0-address instruction
- Difference between Static and Dynamic IP address
- Difference between Load Time and Execution Time address binding
- Difference between Compile Time and Load Time address Binding
- Difference between Compile Time and Execution Time address binding
- Finding DBA from given IP address
- Compression of IPv6 address
- Types of Three-address codes
- Three address code in Compiler
- Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Extracting MAC address using Python
- Concept Of Address Split in OS
- Finding IP address of a URL in Java
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.