Linux operating system was developed in the year 1991 by Linus Torvalds. Linux operating system is known for its open-source support and high flexibility. Over the years Linux OS is highly popular among the industries or its low dependency, high modular, and wide distributions. Linux operating systems are used for their kernel capabilities and their architecture also consists of two layers called Kernel Layer and User Layer.
Solaris operating system was developed int the year 1992 by Sun Microsystems. Solaris Operating system was firstly released as an open-source software but then it was released as licensed after Oracle took Sun Microsystems and reamed it as Oracle Solaris. Oracle Solaris is used for the Service management facilities as it is easy to update and provides the best performance.
Difference between Linux and Solaris
|Developed by||It was developed by Linus Torvalds.||It was developed by Sun Microsystems.|
|Used for||Linux is used for mobile phones and Embedded tablets.||Solaris is used for Service management.|
|Developed with||Linux is developed using C language.||Solaris is developed using C and C++ both languages.|
|Throughput||Linux has a decent throughput.||Solaris has an excellent throughput.|
|License required||Linux is an open-source operating system with no such requirement.||Solaris is licensed after Oracle purchased Sun Microsystem.|
|Installation||Linux installation is simple by Kickstart Installation.||Solaris installation requires an automated installer before installing the OS.|
|Distributions||Linux has a variety of distributions depending upon use.||Solaris has no such distributions.|
|Support||Linux has a wide support with their regular updates.||Solaris has software updates and released in batch.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Windows and Solaris
- Difference between AIX and Solaris
- Difference between Solaris and FreeBSD
- Difference Between Arch Linux and Kali Linux
- Linux Virtualization : Linux Containers (lxc)
- What’s difference between Linux and Android ?
- Difference Between Ubuntu and Kali Linux
- Difference between Linux and Windows
- Difference between locate, which and find Command in Linux
- Difference between Kali Linux and Parrot OS
- Difference between Linux and OS/2
- Difference Between Ubuntu and Red Hat Linux
- Difference Between Ubuntu and Parrot OS Linux
- Difference between Linux and Haiku
- Difference between Linux and Inferno
- Difference Between Fedora and Kali Linux
- Difference between Linux and AmigaOS 4
- Difference between Linux and GhostBSD
- Difference between Linux and Chrome OS
- Difference between Linux and AIX
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.