1. Linear Pipeline :
Linear pipeline is a pipeline in which a series of processors are connected together in a serial manner. In linear pipeline the data flows from the first block to the final block of processor. The processing of data is done in a linear and sequential manner. The input is supplied to the first block and we get the output from the last block till which the processing of data is being done. The linear pipelines can be further be divided into synchronous and asynchronous models.
2. Non-Linear Pipeline :
Non-Linear pipeline is a pipeline which is made of different pipelines that are present at different stages. The different pipelines are connected to perform multiple functions. It also has feedback and feed-forward connections. It is made such that it performs various function at different time intervals. In Non-Linear pipeline the functions are dynamically assigned.
Difference between Linear Pipeline and Non-Linear Pipeline :
|S.NO.||Linear Pipeline||Non-Linear Pipeline|
|1.||In linear pipeline a series of processors are connected together in a serial manner.||In Non-Linear pipeline different pipelines are present at different stages.|
|2.||Linear pipeline is also called as static pipeline as it performs fixed functions.||Non-Linear pipelines is also called as dynamic pipeline as it performs different functions.|
|3.||The output is always produced from the last block.||The output is not necessarily produced from the last block.|
|4.||Linear pipeline has linear connections.||Non-Linear pipeline has feedback and feed-forward connections.|
|5.||It generates a single reservation table.||It can generate more than one reservation table.||6.||It allows easy functional partitioning.||Functional partitioning is difficult in non-linear pipeline.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Arithmetic Pipeline and Instruction Pipeline
- Various Instructions for five stage Pipeline
- Differences between Multiple Cycle Datapath and Pipeline Datapath
- Difference between Linear and Non-linear Data Structures
- 8085 program for Linear search | Set 2
- Mathematics | System of Linear Equations
- Mathematics | L U Decomposition of a System of Linear Equations
- Difference between 4NF and 5NF
- Difference between DFA and NFA
- Difference between MAN and WAN
- Difference between SQL and T-SQL
- Difference between SSH and SSL
- Difference between Hue and Pig
- Difference Between SMO and SEO
- Difference between IBM DB2 and MS SQL
- Difference Between GIT and SVN
- Difference between IoT and M2M
- Difference between MP4 and MP3
- Difference between RAM and ROM
- Difference between PCA VS t-SNE
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.