Wi-Fi(wireless fidelity) and Li-Fi(light fidelity) both are two different technologies which are used to send and receive data wirelessly. In case of Wi-Fi we use Routers and Radio Frequency (RF) waves to transmit data, whereas in Li-Fi we use LED bulbs and Light signals to transmit and receive data.
Basic Difference between LiFi and WiFi:
|Full form||stand for light fidelity||stands for wireless fidelity|
|Invented/Coined||Coined by Prof. Harald Haas in 2011||By NCR corporation on 1991|
|Operation||it transmits data using light by the help of LED bulbs||it transmits data using radio waves using wifi router|
|Technology||Present IrDA compliant devices||WLAN 802.11/b/g/n/ac/d standard compliant devices|
|Data Transfer Speed||About 1 Gbps||Ranges from 150Mbps to maximum of 2Gbps|
|Privacy||light is blocked by the walls hence provide more secure data transfer||walls cannot block radio waves so we need to employ more techniques to achieve secure data transfer|
|Frequency of operation||10, 000 times frequency spectrum of the radio||2.4Ghz, 4.9Ghz and 5Ghz|
|Coverage Distance||about 10 meters||about 32 meters(vary based on transmit power and antenna type)|
|Data density||work with high dense environment||work in less dense environment due to interference related issues|
|Bare minimum Components used||LED bulb, LED driver and photo detector||Routers, Modems and access points|
|Applications||Used in airlines, undersea exploration etc||Used for internet browsing with the help of wifi hotspot|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between WiFi Extender and WiFi Booster
- Difference between WiFi Repeater and WiFi Extender
- Difference between WiFi and HotSpot
- Difference between Wifi and Internet
- Difference between WiFi and WiMax
- Difference between WiFi and 3G Technology
- How to Hack a Open WiFi?
- Wifi protected access (WPA)
- Indoor Navigation using WiFi
- Wifi protected setup (WPS)
- Difference between Tor and VPN
- Difference between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0
- Difference between AIX and HP-UX
- Difference between TDM and FDM
- Difference between SSH and SSL
- Difference between H.323 and SIP
- Difference between DTE and DCE
- Difference Between DAS and SAN
- Difference between LAN and MAN
- Difference between DAS and NAS
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : Akanksha_Rai