Prerequisite – Types of area networks – LAN, MAN and WAN
LAN stands for local area network. It is a group of network devices that allow communication between various connected devices. Private ownership has control over the local area network rather than the public. LAN has a short propagation delay than MAN as well as WAN. It covers the smallest area such as colleges, schools, hospitals, and so on.
MAN stands for metropolitan area network. It covers the largest area than LAN such as small towns, cities, etc. MAN connects two or more computers that reside within the same or completely different cities. MAN is expensive and should or might not be owned by one organization.
WAN stands for wide area network. It covers a large area than LAN as well as a MAN such as country/continent etc. WAN is expensive and should or might not be owned by one organization. PSTN or satellite medium is used for wide area networks.
Let’s see the differences between the three: LAN, MAN, and WAN.
|LAN stands for local area network.||MAN stands for metropolitan area network.||WAN stands for wide area network.|
|LAN’s ownership is private.||MAN’s ownership can be private or public.||While WAN also might not be owned by one organization.|
|The transmission speed of a LAN is high.||While the transmission speed of a MAN is average.||Whereas the transmission speed of a WAN is low.|
|The propagation delay is short in a LAN.||There is a moderate propagation delay in a MAN.||Whereas, there is a long propagation delay in a WAN.|
|There is less congestion in LAN.||While there is more congestion in MAN.||Whereas there is more congestion than MAN in WAN.|
|LAN’s design and maintenance is easy.||While MAN’s design and maintenance is difficult than LAN.||Whereas WAN’s design and maintenance is also difficult than LAN as well MAN.|
|There is more fault tolerance in LAN.||While there is less fault tolerance.||In WAN, there is also less fault tolerance.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Types of area networks - LAN, MAN and WAN
- Difference between Traditional WAN and SD WAN
- Difference between LAN and WAN
- Difference between MAN and WAN
- Difference between LAN and MAN
- Difference between WAN and WWAN
- Difference between LAN and VLAN
- Difference between Ethernet and LAN
- Difference between LAN and WLAN
- LAN Technologies | ETHERNET
- Program to remotely Power On a PC over the internet using the Wake-on-LAN protocol.
- Virtual LAN (VLAN)
- LAN Full Form
- Types of Virtual LAN (VLAN)
- Soft Real-time Communication in LAN
- Hidden Station Problem (HSP) in Wireless LAN
- MAN Full Form in Computer Networking
- MAN Full Form
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between Stop and Wait, GoBackN and Selective Repeat
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : divyanshu_gupta1