k-means is method of cluster analysis using a pre-specified no. of clusters. It requires advance knowledge of ‘K’.
Hierarchical clustering also known as hierarchical cluster analysis (HCA) is also a method of cluster analysis which seeks to build a hierarchy of clusters without having fixed number of cluster.
Main differences between K means and Hierarchical Clustering are:
|k-means Clustering||Hierarchical Clustering|
|k-means, using a pre-specified number of clusters, the method assigns records to each cluster to find the mutually exclusive cluster of spherical shape based on distance.||Hierarchical methods can be either divisive or agglomerative.|
|K Means clustering needed advance knowledge of K i.e. no. of clusters one want to divide your data.||In hierarchical clustering one can stop at any number of clusters, one find appropriate by interpreting the dendrogram.|
|One can use median or mean as a cluster centre to represent each cluster.||Agglomerative methods begin with ‘n’ clusters and sequentially combine similar clusters until only one cluster is obtained.|
|Methods used are normally less computationally intensive and are suited with very large datasets.||Divisive methods work in the opposite direction, beginning with one cluster that includes all the records and Hierarchical methods are especially useful when the target is to arrange the clusters into a natural hierarchy.|
|In K Means clustering, since one start with random choice of clusters, the results produced by running the algorithm many times may differ.||In Hierarchical Clustering, results are reproducible in Hierarchical clustering|
|K- means clustering a simply a division of the set of data objects into non- overlapping subsets (clusters) such that each data object is in exactly one subset).||A hierarchical clustering is a set of nested clusters that are arranged as a tree.|
|K Means clustering is found to work well when the structure of the clusters is hyper spherical (like circle in 2D, sphere in 3D).||Hierarchical clustering don’t work as well as, k means when the shape of the clusters is hyper spherical.|
1. Convergence is guranteed.
2. Specialized to clusters of different sizes and shapes.
1 .Ease of handling of any forms of similarity or distance.
2. Consequently, applicability to any attributes types.
1. K-Value is difficult to predict
2. Didn’t work well with global cluster.
1. Hierarchical clustering requires the computation and storage of an n×n distance matrix. For very large datasets, this can be expensive and slow
- Difference between Hierarchical and Non Hierarchical Clustering
- ML | Hierarchical clustering (Agglomerative and Divisive clustering)
- Hierarchical Clustering in R Programming
- Difference between CURE Clustering and DBSCAN Clustering
- K means Clustering - Introduction
- Analysis of test data using K-Means Clustering in Python
- ML | Determine the optimal value of K in K-Means Clustering
- ML | Mini Batch K-means clustering algorithm
- Image compression using K-means clustering
- K-Means Clustering in R Programming
- Image Segmentation using K Means Clustering
- DBSCAN Clustering in ML | Density based clustering
- ML | Random Intialization Trap in K-Means
- Understanding Types of Means | Set 1
- ML | K-means++ Algorithm
- Clustering in R Programming
- Clustering in Machine Learning
- Different Types of Clustering Algorithm
- ML | Unsupervised Face Clustering Pipeline
- ML | Mean-Shift Clustering
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.