JavaEE or J2EE also known as Java Enterprise Edition. J2EE Version 1.2 was developed as the first Enterprise specification in December 2019. In the year 2005 Sun renamed the Java Platform by dropping the name J2EE. Its core component is EJBs (Enterprise Java Beans) which is followed by JSP (Java Server Pages). This platform includes JDBC (Java DataBase Connectivity) for databases. It is originally developed by Sun, which is acquired in 2010 by Oracle. These services performed between the user’s machine and the enterprise’s databases in the middle tier.
Advantages of J2EE
- J2EE applications are reliable, secure, and scalable.
- If you know J2SE then easy to learn.
- Operates on multiple platforms.
- Cross-platform portability.
- It handles complex and high-transaction applications.
- It has a proven track record.
Disadvantages of J2EE
- Complex application development environment.
- It may cost more to develop, deploy, and manage applications.
- It lacks built-in support for Web services standards.
- Lots of specifications so require deep learning for J2EE.
- It is complex but flexible.
Spring on other hand is the application development framework for JavaEE. It’s an open-source Java Platform which provides supports to Java for developing robust Java application very smoothly and easily. It is written by Rod Johnson in June 2003. The size of the spring is lightweight and the basic version of the Spring framework is about 2MB. The core feature of the Spring framework is developing any Java application and this targets to make J2EE development easier to use. It enables developers to develop enterprise-class applications using POJO (Plain Old Java Object).
Advantages of Spring
- Uses POJO, don’t need an enterprise container like an application server.
- Provides Modularity to developers.
- Consistency of Transaction Management.
- Well- Designed Web Framework.
- It can effectively organize middle-tier objects
- Spring application code is much easier to unit test.
Disadvantages of Spring
- Complex and it lacks a clear focus.
- Quite difficult to learn Spring Framework for a new developer.
- Lots of XML in Spring.
- No clear guidelines on several topics on spring documentation.
- Longer Configuration
The primary difference between JavaEE and Spring is as follows: S.NO. JAVA EE SPRING
01. JavaEE is a Sun/Oracle standard/specification. Spring is not a standard, strictly speaking, it is a framework. 02. JavaEE is used for web development. Spring is used for a template design for an application. 04. JavaEE has oracle based license. Spring has an open-source license. 05. It is based on three-dimensional architectural frameworks. It is based on layered architecture containing many modules. 06. It has an object-oriented language that contains a certain style and syntax. It does not has a programming language. 07. JavaEE has got good speed. Spring is slower than JavaEE. 08. JavaEE can be web-based or non-web-based. Spring is based on almost 20 modules. 09. It is typically got a graphical user interface created from the abstract window toolkit. This makes the same syntax independent of an IDE. 10. JavaEE uses JTA API with the execution. Spring gives a certain layer to help different JTA execution merchants.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java Foundation and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.