1. Internet :
An Internet is a public network and it is not owned by anyone. Since, it is a public network therefore anyone can access it without a valid username and password. Internet is the largest network in the case of number of connected devices. In this, there are numerous users and it provides lots of information to users. It acts as a tool for sharing information all over the world.
2. Extranet :
Extranet is a private network and it is owned by a single or multiple organization. Since, it is a private network therefore no one can access it without a valid username and password. It acts as a medium to share the information between the internal and external members. It is more secure network and managed by numerous organizations.
Let’s see the difference between Internet and Extranet:
|1.||It is used as public network.||Whereas it is used as private network.|
|2.||An internet is less secure because it has zero security level in the firewall.||While the extranet is more secure than the Internet.|
|3.||In the case of the Internet, anyone can access it without a valid username and password.||Whereas in the case of extranet, no one can access it without a valid username and password.|
|4.||A large number of users can access the Internet.||Whereas here, a limited number of users can access the extranet.|
|5.||An internet acts as a tool for sharing information all over the world.||Whereas it acts as a medium to share the information between the internal and external members.|
|6.||An internet is not owned by anyone.||Whereas extranet is owned by a single or multiple organization.|
|7.||An Internet is not managed by either authority.||Unlike the internet, it is managed by numerous organizations.|
|8.||An internet is the largest network in the case of number of connected devices.||Whereas in the case of extranet, it is small in terms of connected devices as compared to the internet.|
|9.||An internet is less costly than extranet.||Whereas in the case of extranet, it is more costly.|
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Difference between Intranet and Extranet
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
- Difference between Wifi and Internet
- Difference between Network and Internet
- Difference between Internet and Intranet
- Difference between Antivirus and Internet Security
- Difference Between Internet of Things and Artificial Intelligence
- Difference between Serial Line Internet Protocol (SLIP) and Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)
- The Internet and the Web
- Internet of Everything
- Internet and Web programming
- Internet of Things and careers in IoT
- Architecture of Internet of Things (IoT)
- How world-wide-web (www) is different from the Internet ?
- Internet of Things (IoT) Gateways
- Internet Service Provider (ISP) hierarchy
- Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) Header
- Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.