1. Internet :
An Internet is a public network and it is not owned by anyone. Since, it is a public network therefore anyone can access it without a valid username and password. Internet is the largest network in the case of number of connected devices. In this, there are numerous users and it provides lots of information to users. It acts as a tool for sharing information all over the world.
2. Extranet :
Extranet is a private network and it is owned by a single or multiple organization. Since, it is a private network therefore no one can access it without a valid username and password. It acts as a medium to share the information between the internal and external members. It is more secure network and managed by numerous organizations.
Let’s see the difference between Internet and Extranet:
|1.||It is used as public network.||Whereas it is used as private network.|
|2.||An internet is less secure because it has zero security level in the firewall.||While the extranet is more secure than the Internet.|
|3.||In the case of the Internet, anyone can access it without a valid username and password.||Whereas in the case of extranet, no one can access it without a valid username and password.|
|4.||A large number of users can access the Internet.||Whereas here, a limited number of users can access the extranet.|
|5.||An internet acts as a tool for sharing information all over the world.||Whereas it acts as a medium to share the information between the internal and external members.|
|6.||An internet is not owned by anyone.||Whereas extranet is owned by a single or multiple organization.|
|7.||An Internet is not managed by either authority.||Unlike the internet, it is managed by numerous organizations.|
|8.||An internet is the largest network in the case of number of connected devices.||Whereas in the case of extranet, it is small in terms of connected devices as compared to the internet.|
|9.||An internet is less costly than extranet.||Whereas in the case of extranet, it is more costly.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Intranet and Extranet
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
- Difference between Antivirus and Internet Security
- Difference between Internet and Intranet
- Difference between Serial Line Internet Protocol (SLIP) and Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)
- Difference between Network and Internet
- Difference between Wifi and Internet
- Difference Between Internet of Things and Artificial Intelligence
- Internet and Web programming
- The Internet and the Web
- Internet of Things and careers in IoT
- Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)
- Program to remotely Power On a PC over the internet using the Wake-on-LAN protocol.
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) Header
- Mobile Internet Protocol (or Mobile IP)
- Multipurpose Internet Mail Extension (MIME) Protocol
- Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
- Internet of Everything
- Internet of Things (IoT) Gateways
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.