Python is a widely used general-purpose language that can be used for many purposes. Taking input in any language is as important as breathing for humans. Python provides various methods for tsking input. However, we all may get confused about how each method is different from one another. In this article, we will discuss about two such methods i.e
Note: For more information, refer to Python Tutorial
This function first takes the input from the user and then evaluates the expression, which means Python automatically identifies whether the user entered a string or a number or list. If the input provided is not correct then either syntax error or exception is raised by Python.
How the input function works in Python :
input()function executes program flow will be stopped until the user has given input.
- The text or message display on the output screen to ask a user to enter input value is optional i.e. the prompt, will be printed on the screen is optional.
- Whatever you enter as input, input function convert it into a string. if you enter an integer value still input() function convert it into a string. You need to explicitly convert it into an integer in your code using typecasting.
Stdin stands for standard input which is a stream from which the program read its input data. This method is slightly different from the input() method as it also reads the escape character entered by the user. More this method also provides the parameter for the size i.e. how many characters it can read at a time.
Difference between Input and sys.stdin.readline() function.
|The input takes input from the user but does not read escape character.||The readline() also takes input from the user but also reads the escape character.|
|It has a prompt that represents the default value before the user input.||Readline has a parameter named size, Which is a non-negative number, it actually defines the bytes to be read.|
- Difference between input() and raw_input() functions in Python
- Taking input in Python
- Take input from stdin in Python
- User Input in PySimpleGUI
- fileinput.input() in Python
- Taking input from console in Python
- Take Matrix input from user in Python
- PyQt5 Input Dialog | Python
- Python | Accepting Script Input
- PyQt5 QDateEdit - Getting Input Date
- Different Input and Output Techniques in Python3
- Python | Get a list as input from user
- Vulnerability in input() function – Python 2.x
- Text Input box with a verification button in kivy
- PyQt5 QCalendarWidget - Grabbing Mouse Input
- PyQt5 QCalendarWidget -Grabbing Keyboard input
- PyQt5 QSpinBox - Getting input method hints
- Python Input Methods for Competitive Programming
- Python | Categorizing input Data in Lists
- PyQt5 QSpinBox - Stopping key board input
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.