ICMP stands for Internet Control Message Protocol and IGMP stands for Internet Group Message Protocol. Both are the most important thing or term in networking.
ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol) is employed to envision reachability to a network or host associated it’s additionally wont to PING an information science address to envision if there’s property or not. Whereas IGMP (Internet Group Message Protocol) is employed for cluster packet transfer wherever client watch TV through satellite association.
The major distinction between ICMP(Internet Control Message Protocol) and IGMP(Internet Group Message Protocol) is that, IGMP is employed to form cluster of hosts, whereas ICMP is employed to send error messages and operational data indicating by hosts.
Let’s see that the difference between ICMP and IGMP:
|1.||ICMP stands for Internet Control Message Protocol.||While IGMP stands for Internet Group Message Protocol.|
|2.||ICMP has PING features.||While it has the Multicast feature.|
|3.||Internet control message protocol is unicasting.||While internet group message protocol is multicasting.|
|4.||ICMP can be operate between host to host or host to router or router to router.||While IGMP can be used between client to multicast router.|
|5.||ICMP is a layer3 protocol.||IGMP is also a network layer or layer3 protocol.|
|6.||It controls the unicast communication and used for reporting error.||It controls the multicast communication.|
|7.||ICMP could be a mechanism employed by hosts and gateway to send notification of datagram downside back to sender.||While IGMP is employed to facilitate the synchronal transmission of a message to a bunch of recipients.|
|8.||ICMP is used to test reachability to a host or network.||While IGMP is used in group packet transmission like DTS service.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- What is IGMP(Internet Group Management Protocol)?
- Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)
- Difference between Stop and Wait, GoBackN and Selective Repeat
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
- Difference between Yaacomo and and XAP
- Difference between VoIP and and POTS
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between Time Tracking and Time and Attendance Software
- Difference Between Single and Double Quotes in Shell Script and Linux
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p
- Difference Between DOS and Windows
- Difference between User Level thread and Kernel Level thread
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
- Difference between Priority Inversion and Priority Inheritance
- What’s difference between Linux and Android ?
- What’s difference between header files "stdio.h" and "stdlib.h" ?
- Difference between HTML and HTTP
- Difference between http:// and https://
- What's difference between MMU and MPU?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : ashushrma378