Real time system is defined as a system in which job has deadline, job has to finished by the deadline (strictly finished). If a result is delayed, huge loss may happen.
1. Hard Real Time System :
Hard real time is a system whose operation is incorrect whose result is not produce according to time constraint.
1. Air Traffic Control 2. Medical System
2. Soft Real Time System :
Soft real time system is a system whose operation is degrade if results are not produce according to the specified timing requirement.
1. Multimedia Transmission and Reception 2. Computer Games
Difference between Hard real time and Soft real time system :
|HARD REAL TIME SYSTEM||SOFT REAL TIME SYSTEM|
|In hard real time system, the size of data file is small or medium.||In soft real time system, the size of data file is large.|
|In this system response time is in millisecond.||In this system response time are higher.|
|Peak load performance should be predictable.||In soft real time system, peak load can be tolerated.|
|In this system safety is critical.||In this system safety is not critical.|
|A hard real time system is very restrictive.||A Soft real time system is less restrictive.|
|In case of an error in a hard real time system, the computation is rolled back.||In case of an soft real time system, computation is rolled back to previously established a checkpoint.|
|Satellite launch, Railway signaling system etc.||DVD player, telephone switches, electronic games etc.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Firm Real-time Tasks and Soft Real-time Tasks
- Difference between Delay and Deadline Constraint in Real-time System
- Difference between Time Sharing OS and Real-Time OS
- Difference between Real-time Tasks and Non-Real-time Tasks
- Applications of Real-time System
- Embedded Real-time System
- Feedback Structure of a Real-time System
- Basic Model of a Real-time System
- Classification of Events in Real-time System
- Real Time Operating System (RTOS)
- Timing Constraints in Real-time System
- Difference between Batch Processing and Real Time Processing System
- Least Slack Time (LST) scheduling Algorithm in real-time systems
- Difference between Sporadic and Aperiodic Real-time Tasks
- Difference between Periodic and Aperiodic Real-time Tasks
- Difference between Periodic and Sporadic Real-time Tasks
- Difference between Relative and Absolute Deadline of Real-time Task
- Real Time Systems
- Characteristics of Real-time Systems
- Scheduling in Real Time Systems
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.