Many users are in a quandary over the choice of either HDD or SDD. There is not a universal answer, as there are merits and demerits to both of them. The choice is heavily dependent on the user, their needs and budget.
Similarities between HDD and SDD:
- Both are used to store data.
- Both are used to boot the system.
- Both are I/O devices.
Differences between HDD and SDD :
|Full Form||HDD stands for Hard Disk Drive.||SSD stands for Solid State Drive.|
|Components||HDD contains moving mechanical parts, like the arm.||SSD does not contains, mechanical parts, only electronical parts like ICs.|
|R/W Time||HDD has longer R/W time.||SSD has shorter R/W time..|
|Latency||HDD has higher latency.||SSD has lower latency.|
|I/O operations per second||HDD supports fewer I/O operations per second.||SSD supports more I/O operations per second.|
|Fragmentation||HDD has fragmentation.||SSD do not has fragmentation.|
|Weight||HDD is heavier in weight.||SSD is lighter in weight.|
|Size||HDD is larger in size.||SSD is more compact in size.|
|Data Transfer||In HDD the data transfer is sequential.||In SSD the data transfer is random access.|
|Reliability||HDD is less reliable due to possibility of mechanical failure, like head crash and susceptibility to strong magnets.||SSD is more reliable.|
|Cost||HDD is cheaper per unit storage.||SSD is costlier per unit storage.|
|Time of Release||HDD is older and more traditional.||SSD is newer to use.|
|Noise||HDD can produce noise due to mechanical movements.||SSD does not produces noise.|
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Difference between Random Access Memory (RAM) and Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
- Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Secondary memory
- Introduction to solid-state drive (SSD)
- Flash-Based solid-state drive (SSD)
- Difference between Hard Disk and Floppy Disk
- Difference between Microsoft OneDrive and Google Drive
- Difference between Basic Disk and Dynamic Disk
- Difference between Magnetic Disk and Optical Disk
- Difference between Seek Time and Disk Access Time in Disk Scheduling
- Difference between Transfer Time and Disk Access Time in Disk Scheduling
- Difference between NP hard and NP complete problem
- Difference between SCAN and LOOK Disk scheduling algorithms
- Difference between SCAN and CSCAN Disk scheduling algorithms
- Difference between FCFS and SSTF Disk Scheduling Algorithm
- Difference between FCFS and SCAN disk scheduling algorithms
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.