Many users are in a quandary over the choice of either HDD or SDD. There is not a universal answer, as there are merits and demerits to both of them. The choice is heavily dependent on the user, their needs and budget.
Similarities between HDD and SDD:
- Both are used to store data.
- Both are used to boot the system.
- Both are I/O devices.
Differences between HDD and SDD :
|Full Form||HDD stands for Hard Disk Drive.||SSD stands for Solid State Drive.|
|Components||HDD contains moving mechanical parts, like the arm.||SSD does not contains, mechanical parts, only electronical parts like ICs.|
|R/W Time||HDD has longer R/W time.||SSD has shorter R/W time..|
|Latency||HDD has higher latency.||SSD has lower latency.|
|I/O operations per second||HDD supports fewer I/O operations per second.||SSD supports more I/O operations per second.|
|Fragmentation||HDD has fragmentation.||SSD do not has fragmentation.|
|Weight||HDD is heavier in weight.||SSD is lighter in weight.|
|Size||HDD is larger in size.||SSD is more compact in size.|
|Data Transfer||In HDD the data transfer is sequential.||In SSD the data transfer is random access.|
|Reliability||HDD is less reliable due to possibility of mechanical failure, like head crash and susceptibility to strong magnets.||SSD is more reliable.|
|Cost||HDD is cheaper per unit storage.||SSD is costlier per unit storage.|
|Time of Release||HDD is older and more traditional.||SSD is newer to use.|
|Noise||HDD can produce noise due to mechanical movements.||SSD does not produces noise.|
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Difference between Random Access Memory (RAM) and Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
- Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Secondary memory
- Introduction to solid-state drive (SSD)
- Flash-Based solid-state drive (SSD)
- Difference between Google Drive and Yandex Disk
- Difference between Amazon Drive and Yandex Disk
- Difference between Google Drive and Amazon Drive
- Difference between Hard Disk and Floppy Disk
- Difference between Google Drive and Box
- Difference between Amazon Drive and Box
- Difference between Google Drive and Backblaze B2
- Difference between iCloud and Amazon Drive
- Difference between Google Drive and MiMedia
- Difference between Amazon Drive and RapidShare
- Difference between Google Drive and CloudMe
- Difference between Google Drive and TitanFile
- Difference between Amazon Drive and Tresorit
- Difference between Amazon Drive and CloudMe
- Difference between Amazon Drive and SecureSafe
- Difference between Google Drive and Ubuntu One
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.