GIT: Git is an open-source distributed vice control system developed by Linus Torvalds in 2005. Its emphasis on speed and data integrity in which there is no centralized connectivity is needed. It is powerful and cheap branching with easy merge in which each developer has his repository and have a local copy in which they can change history. It supports non-linear development branches and applications with a large number of codes files.
Here are some .git directory structures used in GIT:
- HEAD/: A pointer structure used in git.
- Config/: Contains all configuration preferences.
- description/: Description of your project.
- index/: It is used as a staging area between working directory.
- object/: All the data are stored here.
- logs/: Keeps record to change that are made.
SVN: Apache Subversion is an open-source software version and revision control system under the Apache license. It managed files and folders that are present in the repository. It can operate across the network, which allows it and used by people on different computer .we can say that a repository is like an ordinary file server which allows it to be used by people on a different computer.
Below is a table of differences between GIT and SVN:
|Git is open source distributed vice control system developed by Linus Torvalds in 2005. It emphasis on speed and data integrity||Apache Subversion is an open source software version and revision control system under Apache license.|
|Git has a Distributed Model.||SVN has a Centralized Model.|
|In git every user has their own copy of code on their local like their own branch.||In SVN there is central repository has working copy that also make changes and committed in central repository.|
|In git we do not required any Network to perform git operation.||In SVN we required Network for runs the SVN operation.|
|Git is more difficult to learn. It has more concepts and commands.||SVN is much easier to learn as compared to git.|
|Git deals with large number of files like binary files that change quickly that why it become slow.||SVN control the large number of binary files easily.|
|In git we create only .git directory.||In SVN we create .svn directory in each folder.|
|It does not not have good UI as compared to SVN.||SVN has simple and better user interface .|
Features of GIT:
Features of SVN:
- Difference between Concurrent Versions System (CVS) and Subversion (SVN)
- Difference Between Git and GitHub
- Difference between MERCURIAL and GIT
- Jenkins and GIT Integration using SSH Key
- What is Git-Ignore and How to Use it?
- Common Git Problems and Their Fixes
- Pushing changes to a Git Repository
- What is a GIT Repository?
- Git Features
- Bare Repositories in Git
- Working with Git Repositories
- Merge Strategies in Git
- Getting changes from a Git Repository
- Git | Working with Stash
- Handling repositories with Git remote
- Using Git on CommandLine
- Working on BitBucket using Git
- Working on Git for GUI
- Using Patches in Git
- Rebasing of branches in Git
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.