Generic Software Development:
Generic software development is a process executed by the developers that develops the software product. Usually, this product is made for all types of business needs which has a positive demand in the market over a duration of time. Software development companies develop generic software on their own and handled it to a group of customers having a similar need.
Custom Software Development:
Customer software development is a mechanism by which a company develops the product for an individual client. Individual client may be a company or group of persons. This product mostly has a distinct need in the market only for a limited time and is for the specialized business needs. Software development companies develop custom software at cost of particular customers.
Let’s see the difference between Generic software development and Custom software development:
|S.No.||Generic software product development||Custom software development|
|1.||The generic software development is done for developing a general purpose software.||Customer software development is done to develop a software product as per the needs of particular customer.|
|2.||In this development process, the software developers have to depict the end-users specifications.||In this development process, the the end-user requirements can be aggregated by communicating by them.|
|3.||From designing and marketing perspective, this type of development is very difficult.||This development does not require marketing, because it is developed for appropriate group of users.|
|4.||Large number of users may be using this kind of software.||This type of software is used by limited number of users.|
|5.||Quality of the product is not a preference for generic software.||Quality is the main criterion in customer software product.Best quality of the product is focused for customer or company.|
|6.||Development team controls the process of generic software development.||Customer determines the process of software development in this type of product.|
|7.||Generally the software developed is economical.There may be some hidden costs such as installation and implementation cost.||Software product is of high cost as the particular product for customer is developed.|
|8.||Example of generic software product development is Word-editing software.||Inventory control and management system are examples of customer software development.|
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Difference between Traditional and Agile Software Development
- Software Engineering | Identifying Software Development Metrics
- Software Engineering | Software Business and Development
- Software Engineering | Agile Software Development
- Adaptive Software Development (ASD)
- Scrum (software development)
- Software Development Organizational Structure
- Types of Defects in Software Development
- Reliability Attributes in Software Development
- Modern Principles Of Software Development
- Software Engineering | Jackson System Development (JSD)
- Software Engineering | Agile Development Models
- Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Software Engineering | Rapid application development model (RAD)
- Types of Feasibility Study in Software Project Development
- Software Engineering | Program Development Life Cycle (PDLC)
- Client-Server Software Development | Introduction to Common Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA)
- Difference between Packaged Software and Custom Software
- Difference Between Data Science and Web Development
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.