“Free software” means software that respects users’ freedom and community. Roughly, it means that the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software.
The term “free software” is sometimes misunderstood—it has nothing to do with price. It is about freedom.
Open Source Software :
Open Source Software is something which you can modify as per your needs, share with others without any licensing violation burden. When we say Open Source, source code of software is available publicly with Open Source licenses like GNU (GPL) which allows you to edit source code and distribute it. Read these licenses and you will realize that these licenses are created to help us.
- Coined by the development environments around software produced by open collaboration of software developers on the internet.
- Later specified by the Open Source Initiative (OSI).
- It does not explicitly state ethical values, besides those directly associated to software development.
Difference between Free Software and Open Source Software:
|S.No.||FS Philosophy||OSS Philosophy|
|1.||Software is an important part of people’s lives.||Software is just software. There are no ethics associated directly to it.|
|2.||Software freedom translates to social freedom.||Ethics are to be associated to the people not to the software.|
|3.||Freedom is a value that is more important than any economical advantage.||Freedom is not an absolute concept. Freedom should be allowed, not imposed.|
|4.||Examples: The Free Software Directory maintains a large database of free-software packages. Some of the best-known examples include the Linux kernel, the BSD and Linux operating systems, the GNU Compiler Collection and C library; the MySQL relational database; the Apache web server; and the Sendmail mail transport agent.||Examples: Prime examples of open-source products are the Apache HTTP Server, the e-commerce platform osCommerce, internet browsers Mozilla Firefox and Chromium (the project where the vast majority of development of the freeware Google Chrome is done) and the full office suite LibreOffice.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Software Freedom in FOSS (Free and open-source software)
- Step Wise Guide to start with Open Source
- Is There Any Difference Between Software Developer And Software Engineer?
- Difference between Packaged Software and Custom Software
- Difference between System Software and Application Software
- Difference between Generic Software Development and Custom Software Development
- Difference between Software and Application
- Difference between Hardware and Software
- Difference between Data Scientist and Software Engineer
- Difference between Traditional and Agile Software Development
- Difference Between Data Science and Software Engineering
- Difference between Endpoint Security and Antivirus Software
- Difference between Application Software and Operating System
- Software Engineering | Software Project Management Plan (SPMP)
- Software Engineering | Jelinski Moranda software reliability model
- Software Engineering | Schick-Wolverton software reliability model
- Software Engineering | Role and Responsibilities of a software Project Manager
- Software Engineering | Software Project Management Complexities
- Software Engineering | Responsibilities of Software Project Manager
- Software Engineering | Identifying Software Development Metrics
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.