Both Flow Control and Congestion Control are the traffic controlling methods in different situations.
The main difference between flow control and congestion control is that, In flow control, Traffics are controlled which are flow from sender to a receiver. On the other hand, In congestion control, Traffics are controlled entering to the network.
Let’s see the difference between flow control and congestion control:
|S.NO||Flow Control||Congestion Control|
|1.||In flow control, Traffics are controlled which are flow from sender to a receiver.||In this, Traffics are controlled entering to the network.|
|2.||Data link layer and Transport layer handle it.||Network layer and Transport layer handle it.|
|3.||In this, Receiver’s data is prevented from being overwhelmed.||In this, Network is prevented from congestion.|
|4.||In flow control, Only sender is responsible for the traffic.||In this, Transport layer is responsible for the traffic.|
|5.||In this, Traffic is prevented by slowly sending by the sender.||In this, Traffic is prevented by slowly transmitting by the transport layer.|
|6.||In flow control, buffer overrun is restrained in the receiver.||In congestion control, buffer overrun is restrained in the intermediate systems in the network.|
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- TCP Congestion Control
- Congestion Control in Computer Networks
- Congestion Control techniques in Computer Networks
- Difference between Numerical Control (NC) and Computer Numerical Control (CNC)
- Difference between Open-Loop Control System and Closed-Loop Control System
- Difference between Hardwired and Microprogrammed Control Unit
- Difference between Hardwired and Micro-programmed Control Unit | Set 2
- Difference between Horizontal and Vertical micro-programmed Control Unit
- Difference Between High-level Data Link Control (HDLC) and Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)
- Error Control in TCP
- Concurrency Control Techniques
- Introduction of Control Unit and its Design
- Role-based Access Control
- Access Control in Computer Network
- Machine Control Instructions in Microprocessor
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : ashushrma378