1. DOS Attack :
A DOS attack is a denial of service attack, in this attack a computer sends massive amount of traffic to a victims computer and shuts it down.Dos attack is a online attack which is used to make the website unavailable for its users when done on a website. This attack make the server of a website down which is connected to internet by sending a large number of traffic to it.
2. DDOS Attack :
In ddos attack means distributed denial of service in this attack dos attacks are done from many different locations using many systems.
Difference between DOS and DDOS attack :
|DOS Stands for Denial of service attack.||DDOS Stands for Distributed Denial of service attack.|
|In Dos attack single system targets the victims system.||In DDos multiple system attacks the victims system..|
|Victim PC is loaded from the packet of data sent from a single location.||Victim PC is loaded from the packet of data sent from Multiple location.|
|Dos attack is slower as compared to ddos.||DDos attack is faster than Dos Attack.|
|Can be blocked easily as only one system is used.||It is difficult to block this attack as multiple devices are sending packets and attacking from multiple locations.|
|In DOS Attack only single device is used with DOS Attack tools.||In DDos attack Bots are used to attack at the same time.|
|DOS Attcaks are Easy to trace.||DDOS Attacks are Difficult to trace.|
|Volume of traffic in Dos attack is less as compared to DDos.||DDoS attacks allow the attacker to send massive volumes of traffic to the victim network.|
| Types of DOS Attacks are:|
1. Buffer overflow attacks
2. Ping of Death or ICMP flood
3. Teardrop Attack
| Types of DDOS Attacks are:|
1. Volumetric Attacks
2. Fragmentation Attacks
3. Application Layer Attacks
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Denial of Service DDoS attack
- Difference between Active Attack and Passive Attack
- Difference Between DOS and Windows
- Difference between DOS and Windows
- DDoS Full Form
- What is DDoS(Distributed Denial of Service)?
- Types of DOS attacks
- Difference between Threat and Attack
- Understanding Rainbow Table Attack
- Birthday attack in Cryptography
- Sybil Attack
- Selective forwarding Attack in wireless Sensor Network
- Wormhole Attack in Wireless Sensor Networks
- Brute Force Attack
- What is a Dictionary Attack?
- Sinkhole Attack in Wireless Sensor Networks
- US Maritime Attack
- Zero-day Exploit (Cyber Security Attack)
- Replay Attack
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.