Database System is used in traditional way of storing and retrieving data. The major task of database system is to perform query processing. These systems are generally referred as online transaction processing system. These systems are used day to day operations of ans organization.
Data Warehouse is the place where huge amount of data is stored. It is meant for users or knowledge workers in the role of data analysis and decision making. These systems are supposed to organize and present data in different format and different forms in order to serve the need of the specific user for specific purpose. These systems are referred as online analytical processing.
Difference between Database System and Data Warehouse:
|Database System||Data Warehouse|
|It supports operational processes.||It supports analysis and performance reporting.|
|Capture and maintain the data.||Explore the data.|
|Current data.||Multiple years of history.|
|Data is balanced within the scope of this one system.||Data must be integrated and balanced from multiple system.|
|Data is updated when transaction occurs.||Data is updated on scheduled processes.|
|Data verification occurs when entry is done.||Data verification occurs after the fact.|
|100 MB to GB.||100 GB to TB.|
|Application oriented.||Subject oriented.|
|Primitive and highly detailed.||Summarized and consolidated.|
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Difference between Database Testing and Data warehouse Testing
- Differences between Operational Database Systems and Data Warehouse
- Difference between Data Warehouse and Data Mart
- Difference between Data Lake and Data Warehouse
- Difference between Business Intelligence and Data Warehouse
- Difference Between Big Data and Data Warehouse
- Data Mining: Data Warehouse Process
- ETL Process in Data Warehouse
- Data Warehouse Architecture
- Characteristics and Functions of Data warehouse
- Building a Data Warehouse in DBMS
- Star Schema in Data Warehouse modeling
- Types of Keys in Data Warehouse Schema
- Snowflake Schema in Data Warehouse Model
- Fact Constellation in Data Warehouse modelling
- Difference between Centralized Database and Distributed Database
- Distributed Database System
- Advantages of Database Management System
- Functions of Distributed Database System
- Personnel involved in Database Management System
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.