A collection of related pieces of data, whose purpose is to solve the data management needs of an institution is called a Database.
Database Management Systems (DBMS), on the other hand, are very complex software which save the data on the secondary storage devices and which are used to manipulate databases.
Difference between Database and DBMS :
|1.||Storage||Besides computers, databases can even be maintained in physical ledgers, books or papers.||In a database management system (DBMS), all the records are maintained only on a computer.|
|2.||Data Retrieval||The retrieval of information from the databases can be done manually, through queries or by using programs (C, C++, Java etc.).||We can retrieve the data from the database management system through queries written in SQL.|
|3.||Speed||As databases can be handled manually or via computers, when SQL is not used to retrieve information, it can be very slow.||As a computer system is involved in a database management system, the retrieval of information is very quick.|
|4.||Access||The databases are not designed for a large number of people who can access data at the same time, rather it is designed for a very small number of people (preferably few people) who access data at different times.||The database management system is designed for a large number of people who can access the data at the same time.|
|5.||Data Manipulation||In case of the databases, very less information can be modified at a time.||In the database management system (DBMS), a lot of information can be changed at one time (as it can have many users using it at the same time).|
|6.||Backup and Recovery||The databases do not ensure that the data will be available after failure arises.||The database management system (DBMS) ensures that the data will always be available even after system failures.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Database Administrator (DBA) and Database Engineer
- Difference between Centralized Database and Distributed Database
- How to pre populate database in Android using SQLite Database
- Introduction of DBMS (Database Management System) | Set 1
- Database Recovery Techniques in DBMS
- Database Objects in DBMS
- Challenges of database security in DBMS
- Difference between Schema and Database
- Difference between Blockchain and a Database
- Difference between Database System and Data Warehouse
- Difference between Database Testing and Data warehouse Testing
- Difference Between Two-Tier And Three-Tier database architecture
- Difference between Single User and Multi User Database Systems
- Difference between Relational database and NoSQL
- Difference between CouchDB and Relational Database
- Difference between Spreadsheet and Database
- Difference between OLAP and OLTP in DBMS
- Difference between Row oriented and Column oriented data stores in DBMS
- Difference between RDBMS and DBMS
- Difference between 1NF and 2NF in DBMS
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.