Data Analysis: Data Analysis involves extraction, cleaning, transformation, modeling and visualization of data with an objective to extract important and helpful information which can be additional helpful in deriving conclusions and make choices.
The main purpose of data analysis is to search out some important information in raw data so the derived knowledge is often used to create vital choices.
Data Mining: Data mining could be called as a subset of Data Analysis. It is the exploration and analysis of huge knowledge to find important patterns and rules.
Data mining could also be a systematic and successive method of identifying and discovering hidden patterns and data throughout a big dataset. Moreover, it is used to build machine learning models that are further used in artificial intelligence.
Below is a table of differences between Data Analysis and Data Mining:
|Based on||Data Analysis||Data Mining|
|Definition||It is the process of extracting important pattern from large datasets.||It is the process of analysing and organizing raw data in order to determine useful informations and decisions|
|Function||It is used in discovering hidden patterns in raw data sets .||In this all operations are involved in examining data sets to fine conclusions.|
|Data set||In this data set are generally large and structured.||Dataset can be large, medium or small, Also structured, semi structured, unstructured.|
|Models||Often require mathmatical and stastical models||Analytical and business intelligence models|
|Visualisation||It generally does not require visualization||Surely requires Data visualization.|
|Goal||Prime goal is to make data useable.||It is used to make data driven decisions.|
|Required Knowledge||It involves the intersection of machine learning, statistics and databases.||It requires the knowledge of computer science, statistics, mathematics, subject knowledge Al/Machine Learning.|
|Also known as||It is also known as Knowledge discovery in databases.|| Data analysis can be divided into descriptive statistics, exploratory data analysis, and confirmatory data analysis.</td|
|Output||It shows the data tends and patterns.||The output is verified or discarded hypothesis|
- Difference Between Data Mining and Data Visualization
- Difference between Data Warehousing and Data Mining
- Difference Between Data Science and Data Mining
- Difference Between Data Mining and Text Mining
- Difference Between Big Data and Data Mining
- Difference Between Data Mining and Web Mining
- Difference Between Data Mining and Statistics
- Difference between Data Mining and OLAP
- Difference between Business Intelligence and Data Mining
- Difference Between Data mining and Machine learning
- Difference between Spatial and Temporal Data Mining
- Types of Sources of Data in Data Mining
- GRE Data Analysis | Distribution of Data, Random Variables, and Probability Distributions
- GRE Data Analysis | Numerical Methods for Describing Data
- GRE Data Analysis | Methods for Presenting Data
- GRE Data Analysis | Data Interpretation Examples
- Difference between Data Scientist, Data Engineer, Data Analyst
- Relationship between Data Mining and Machine Learning
- Difference Between Data Visualization and Data Analytics
- Difference between data type and data structure
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.