Difference between Data Driven Testing and Keyword Driven Testing
1. Data-Driven Testing :
Data-driven testing or DDT is also named Parameterized testing. DDT is a process of testing software that is used to test the computer Software by applying some conditions like verified inputs. For testing the software various methods are used and every methodology differs from the other for maintaining accuracy. DDT focuses on a set of data that are present in databases for an automated framework where testing is done. Basically, this framework solves big and time taking process issues for conducting separate tests.
For a better understanding of DDT let us consider an example, DDT is just similar to searching for a particular student detail in a huge dataset. In that we just need to input that student Id after that we can get all info about that student, like that only for conducting this test in a huge dataset we just need to input the verified details so that we can get the correct execution.
There are several types of Data-Driven Testing in which the data are available in some format such as Comma Separated Values (CSV) files, Excel Sheets, Database Tables, Script Arrays, and Table Variables.
There are four operations in which DDT concentrates more those are:
- Assembling various sets of data tests in a bunch of data i.e., database or a file.
- Formation of Scripts that can be readable.
- Keeping the recovered data and then correcting the data if required.
- Processing with the testing part by providing required inputs.
Advantages of DDT :
- DDT keeps individual data from test scripts and similar test scripts can be used for various sets of input test data so that we can get the result automatically.
- It gives a clear scenario for the test scripts.
- DDT maintains all the records very efficiently and is very easy to access.
- It decreases the error occurring ability.
- DDT is very easy to process for us human creators.
2. Keyword Driven Testing :
Keyword Driven Testing is also named Action Word Based testing. This KDT is also used for testing software and is efficient for both manual and automated testing. KDT is a type of scripting technique that restores the keyword and uses all the data files which can be applied during testing. It is a combination of high-level and low-level keywords and has a keyword argument which is then used in the testing process.
In KDT we have to first find out individually the set of keywords after that we have to identify the functions so that how that keyword going to work accordingly. KDT basically used in webpages, such as the opening and closing of the website pages, cursor, the keystrokes, the text typing inputting the information all these are managed by the KDT.
The process of KDT includes various cases like it separates the documentation of test process like data and functions which are in use, and by the help of the instruction, the test occurs. It divides the test process into two stages i.e., Design and Development stage and the Execution stage.
For creating KDT framework we need clear about several things such as:
- Excel Sheet: First we have to identify the keywords and store all the keywords in an excel sheet.
- Function Library: This library includes all the website logins and all the processing.
- Data Sheets: It is used to store all the data which can be used during testing time.
- Object Repository: It depends on the keyword and based on that keyword we can implement an object repository.
- Test Scripts: According to the blueprint of the framework we can have test scripts for each individual test case.
Advantages of KDT :
- KDT helps in reducing the minor errors which can be caused during System or Software Under Test (SUT).
- It is an open framework in which we can access all the tools and data.
- By using this all the tests can be written in a more efficient way.
- All the details of the test scripts are hidden from the user.
- KDT requires low maintenance and can be accessed for a long period of time.
- The test cases which are occurred that are easier to read and understand.
Data-Driven Testing VS Keyword Driven Testing :
|01.||Data-driven testing conduct tests by using several stored data, values, and variables.||Keyword-driven testing conduct tests by using specific keywords.|
|02.||DDT can store their data in many formats like CSV files, excel sheets, databases, tables, script arrays, etc.||KDT can store their data only in Excel sheets.|
|03.||It is less time-consuming.||It is more time-consuming.|
|04.||All the test scripts are decoded from the user.||All the test scripts are encoded from the user.|
|05.||DDT can occur in several stages.||KDT can occur in two different stages.|
|06.||A high level of programming and technical knowledge is required.||Without knowledge of programming also this test can be performed.|