Both Connection-oriented service and Connection-less service are used for the connection establishment between two or more than two devices. These type of services are offered by network layer.
Connection-oriented service is related to the telephone system. It includes the connection establishment and connection termination. In connection-oriented service, Handshake method is used to establish the connection between sender and receiver.
Connection-less service is related to the postal system. It does not include any connection establishment and connection termination. Connection-less Service does not give the guarantee of reliability. In this, Packets do not follow same path to reach destination.
Difference between Connection-oriented and Connection-less Services:
|S.NO||Connection-oriented Service||Connection-less Service|
|1.||Connection-oriented service is related to the telephone system.||Connection-less service is related to the postal system.|
|2.||Connection-oriented service is preferred by long and steady communication.||Connection-less Service is preferred by bursty communication.|
|3.||Connection-oriented Service is necessary.||Connection-less Service is not compulsory.|
|4.||Connection-oriented Service is feasible.||Connection-less Service is not feasible.|
|5.||In connection-oriented Service, Congestion is not possible.||In connection-less Service, Congestion is possible.|
|6.||Connection-oriented Service gives the guarantee of reliability.||Connection-less Service does not give the guarantee of reliability.|
|7.||In connection-oriented Service, Packets follow the same route.||In connection-less Service, Packets do not follow the same route.|
- Services and Segment structure in TCP
- Introduction of Active Directory Domain Services
- Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN)
- Difference between 1G and 2G
- Difference between LAN and MAN
- Difference between H.323 and SIP
- Difference between TDM and FDM
- Difference between CRT and LCD
- Difference between C and C++
- Difference between RPC and RMI
- Difference between 4G and 5G
- Difference between CLI and GUI
- Difference between Blu-ray and DVD
- Difference between CD and DVD
- Difference between MP4 and MP3
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.