|Circuit Switching||Packet Switching|
|In circuit switching there are 3 phases:
i) Connection Establishment.
ii) Data Transfer.
iii) Connection Released.
|In Packet switching directly data transfer takes place .|
|In circuit switching, each data unit know the entire path address which is provided by the source.||In Packet switching, each data unit just know the final destination address intermediate path is decided by the routers.|
|In Circuit switching, data is processed at source system only||In Packet switching, data is processed at all intermediate node including source system.|
|Delay between data units in circuit switching is uniform.||Delay between data units in packet switching is not uniform.|
|Resource reservation is the feature of circuit switching because path is fixed for data transmission.||There is no resource reservation because bandwidth is shared among users.|
|Circuit switching is more reliable.||Packet switching is less reliable.|
|Wastage of resources are more in Circuit Switching||Less wastage of resources as compared to Circuit Switching|
|It is not a store and forward technique.||It is a store and forward technique.|
|Transmission of the data is done by the source.||Transmission of the data is done not only by the source, but also by the intermediate routers.|
|Congestion can occur during connection establishment time, there might be a case will requesting for channel the channel is already occupied.||Congestion can occur during data transfer phase, large number of packets comes in no time.|
|Circuit switching is not convenient for handling bilateral traffic.||Packet switching is suitable for handling bilateral traffic.|
|In Circuit switching, charge depend on time and distance, not on traffic in the network.||In Packet switching, charge is based on the number of bytes and connection time.|
|Recording of packet is never possible in circuit switching.||While recording of packet is possible in packet switching.|
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Circuit switching and Message switching
- Difference between Message and Packet Switching
- Pipelining in Packet Switching
- Circuit Switching in Computer Network
- Packet Switching and Delays in Computer Network
- Difference between Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS)
- Message switching techniques
- How does Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Routing work ?
- What is Packet Sniffing ?
- What is IPX(Internetwork Packet Exchange)?
- Packet flow in the same Network
- What is Cisco Packet Tracer
- Packet flow in different Network
- Packet Queuing and Dropping in Routers
- Packet Capturing using JnetPcap in Java
- Virtual Circuit in Computer Network
- General Packet Radio Service (GPRS)
- Introduction of High Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA)
- Difference between Tor and VPN
- Difference between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0