Prerequisite – Network Devices
Bridge is a network device which works in data link layer. Bridge connects two different LAN working on same protocol. Also In bridge, format of packet is not changed.
Gateway works in OSI model’s all layer. It converts the protocol. Gateway will settle for and transfer the packet across networks employing a completely different protocol. In gateway, format of packet is changed which oppose to the bridge.
Now, we shall discuss the difference between bridge and gateway:
|1.||Bridge works in data link layer.||While it works in all layer.|
|2.||Bridge connects two different LANs.||While it converts the protocol.|
|3.||Bridge connects two different LAN working on same protocol.||While gateway will settle for and transfer the packet across networks employing a completely different protocol.|
|4.||In bridge, data or information is in the form of packet.||Whereas in gateway, data or information is also in the form of packet.|
|5.||In bridge, format of packet is not changed.||While in gateway, format of packet is changed.|
|6.||Bridge is not installed in router.||While it installed in router.|
- Difference between Hub and Bridge
- Difference between Bridge and Router
- Common Gateway Interface (CGI)
- Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
- Gateway Load Balancing Protocol (GLBP)
- Features of Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)
- C Program to find IP Address, Subnet Mask & Default Gateway
- Root Bridge Election in Spanning Tree Protocol
- Network Devices (Hub, Repeater, Bridge, Switch, Router, Gateways and Brouter)
- Difference between H.323 and SIP
- What is the difference between GUI and CUI?
- Difference between C and C#
- Difference between TDM and FDM
- Difference between Blu-ray and DVD
- Difference between MAN and WAN
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.