Generally a database is a data structure which is used for storing information. It is a organised collection or storage of data which is able to store a new data or access a existing data. The data stored in a database can be organized using a database management system. The database administrator can modify the data stored in the database. A database is implemented using the client-server network architecture.
A blockchain is a growing list of records, called blocks, that are linked using cryptography. Each block contains a cryptographic hash of the previous block, a timestamp, and transaction data. Here, modification of data is not permissible by design. It allows decentralized control and eliminates the risks of modification of data by other parties with sufficient access to the system.
Key differences between Blockchain and a Database are:
|Database uses centralized storage of data.||Blockchain uses decentralized storage of data.|
|Database needs a Database admin or Database administrator to manage the stored data.||There is no administrator in Blockchain.|
|Modifying data requires permission from database admin.||Modifying data does not require permission. Users have a copy of data and by modifying the copies does not affect the master copy of the data as Blockchain is irresistible to modification of data.||Centralized databases keep information that is up-to-date at a particular moment||Blockchain keeps the present information as well as the past information that has been stored before.|
|Centralized databases are used as databases for a really long time and have a good performance record, but are slow for ertain functionalities.||Blockchain is ideal for transaction platform but it slows down when used as databases, specially with large collection of data.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Database Administrator (DBA) and Database Engineer
- Difference between Centralized Database and Distributed Database
- Difference Between Bitcoin and Blockchain
- Difference between Public and Private blockchain
- Difference between Proof of Work (PoW) and Proof of Stake (PoS) in blockchain
- How to pre populate database in Android using SQLite Database
- Types of Blockchain and Chain Terminology
- Basics of the Blockchain and its various applications
- BlockChain and KYC
- Difference between Schema and Database
- Difference between Database System and Data Warehouse
- Difference between Database Testing and Data warehouse Testing
- Difference between Database and DBMS
- Difference Between Two-Tier And Three-Tier database architecture
- Difference between Single User and Multi User Database Systems
- Difference between Relational database and NoSQL
- Difference between CouchDB and Relational Database
- Difference between Spreadsheet and Database
- Difference between Clausal form and Horn Clausal form in Deductive Database
- Difference between Database and Data Structure
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.