Prerequisite – Types of Operating System
1. Batch Processing System :
An Batch processing system handles large amounts of data which processed on a routine schedule. Processing occurs when the after the economic event occurs and recorded. It requires fewer programming, hardware, and training resources. In this system programs are scheduled through jobs. It allows sharing of programs and files.
Examples includes Inventory query, website shopping transaction, e-Banking account withdrawal etc.
Advantages of Batch Processing System :
- Manages large repeated work easily.
- Repeated jobs are done fast
- Batch systems can work offline
Disadvantages of Batch Processing System :
- Difficult to debug batch systems
- Sometimes costly
- Waits for unknown time if error occurs with any job
2. Online System :
An online processing system handles transactions in real time and provides the output instantly. When any economic event takes place then the processing occurs. It requires more number of dedicated hardware resources, processing elements are required. In this system programs are initiated through transactions. It does not allow sharing of programs and files.
Examples includes are month end tax calculation, data transformation, data analysis, data transformation etc.
Advantages of Online System :
- Useful for online money transactions
- Useful in online shopping
- Support and stability
Disadvantages of Online System :
- Millions of requests sometimes becomes difficult to handle
- lots of staff required to maintain inventory
- Hardware problems create big trouble
Difference between Batch Processing System and Online System :
|S.No.||BATCH PROCESSING SYSTEM||ONLINE PROCESSING SYSTEM|
|01.||An Batch processing system handles large amounts of data which processed on a routine schedule.||An online processing system handles transactions in real time and provides the output instantly.|
|02.||Processing occurs when the after the economic event occurs and recorded.||When the economic event takes place then the processing occurs.|
|03.||In batch processing system fewer programming, hardware and training resources are required.||In Online processing system more number of dedicated hardware resources, processing elements are required.|
|04.||To avoid operational delays certain records are processed after the event.||Immediately all the records pertaining to event are processed.|
|05.||In batch processing system input data is prepared before the execution.||In online processing system data is prepared at time of execution as needed.|
|06.||In batch processing system the processing sequence is predictable.||In online processing system the processing sequence is unpredictable.|
|07.||In this the programs and files can not be shared.||In this the program and files can be shared.|
|08.||In batch processing system programs are scheduled through jobs.||In online processing system programs are initiated through transactions.|
|09.||In batch processing system recovery and restart is easy.||In online processing system recovery and restart requires additional process.|
|10.||Batch processing system uses tape storage.||Online processing system uses disk storage.|
|11.||Examples are Inventory query, website shopping transaction, e-Banking account withdrawal etc.||Examples are month end tax calculation, data transformation, data analysis, data transformation etc.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Batch Processing and Real Time Processing System
- Difference between Batch Processing and Stream Processing
- Difference between Batch Processing OS and Multiprogramming OS
- Difference between Data Warehousing and Online transaction processing (OLTP)
- Difference between Traditional Processing and Stream Processing
- Difference between Batch Gradient Descent and Stochastic Gradient Descent
- Difference between Online marketing and Offline marketing in SEO
- Difference between Opening and Closing in Digital Image Processing
- Difference between Digital Light Processing (DLP) and Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) Projector
- Difference between Image Processing and Computer Vision
- Difference between Text Mining and Natural Language Processing
- Difference between Data Cleaning and Data Processing
- Difference between Management Information System (MIS) and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Difference between Open-Loop Control System and Closed-Loop Control System
- Difference between Local File System (LFS) and Distributed File System (DFS)
- What is SMP (Symmetric Multi-Processing)?
- Multistep Processing of a User Program
- Difference between FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS File System
- Difference between Traditional and Reactive Computer System
- Difference Between Digital And Analog System
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.