Prerequisite – Types of Operating System
1. Batch Processing :
A series of jobs are executed without any human intervention in Batch processing system. In this set of jobs with similar needs are batched together and inputted to the computer for execution. It is also called as Simple Batch System. It is slower in processing than Multiprogramming system.
Advantages of Batch Processing :
- It manages large repeated work easily.
- No special hardware and system support required to input data in batch systems.
- It can be shared by multiple users.
- Very less idle time of the batch system.
- Enables us to manage the efficiently large load of work.
Disadvantages of Batch Processing :
- It has more turnaround time.
- Non linear behavior.
- Irreversible behavior.
- Due to any mistake, it may happen any job can go infinite loop.
- proves to be costly sometimes.
2. Multiprogramming :
Multiprogramming operating system allows to execute multiple processes by monitoring their process states and switching in between processes. It executes multiple programs to avoid CPU and memory underutilization. It is also called as Multiprogram Task System. It is faster in processing than Batch Processing system.
Advantages of Multiprogramming :
- CPU never becomes idle
- Efficient resources utilization
- Response time is shorter
- Short time jobs completed faster than long time jobs
- Increased Throughput
Disadvantages of Multiprogramming :
- Long time jobs have to wait long
- Tracking all processes sometimes difficult
- CPU scheduling is required
- Requires efficient memory management
- User interaction not possible during program execution
Difference between Batch Processing OS and Multiprogramming OS :
|01.||Batch processing System is also called as Simple Batch System.||Multiprogramming System is also called as Multiprogram Task System.|
|02.||A series of jobs are executed without any human intervention in Batch processing system. In this set of jobs with similar needs are batched together and inputted to the computer for execution.||Multiprogramming operating system allows to execute multiple processes by monitoring their process states and switching in between processes. It executes multiple programs to avoid CPU and memory underutilization.|
|03.||Batch processing system is slower in processing than Multiprogramming system.||Multiprogramming System is faster in processing than Batch Processing system.|
|04.||In Batch processing system CPU needs to stand idly.||In Multiprogramming system CPU needs not stand idly.|
|05.||In this the processes have to wait in a queue.||In this the process has to wait in a queue.|
|06.||In batch processing Operating System execution of process starts batch wise.||In multi-programming Operating System execution of process starts as it centers the processor.|
|07.||In batch processing grouping of several processing jobs to be executed one after another by a computer without any user interaction.||Multi-programming operating system ability of an OS to execute multiple programs at the same time on a single processor.|
|08.||In Batch processing system the CPU utilization is less.||In multiprogramming system the CPU utilization is more.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Learn all GATE CS concepts with Free Live Classes on our youtube channel.