Prerequisite – Types of Operating Systems
1. Batch Processing :
Batch Processing system is an efficient way of processing large volumes of data. where a group of transactions is collected over a period of time. Data is collected, entered, processed and then the batch results are produced. The main function of a batch processing system is to automatically keep executing the jobs in a batch. This is the important task of a batch processing system i.e. performed by the ‘Batch Monitor’ resided in the low end of main memory.
2. Real Time Processing :
Real Time Processing systems are very fast and quick respondent systems. These systems are used in an environment where a large number of events (generally external) must be accepted and processed in a short time. Real time processing requires quick transaction and characterized by supplying immediate response. For example, defense application systems like as RADAR, etc.
Following are the differences between Batch processing system and Real Time Processing System.
|SR.NO.||Batch Processing System||Real Time Processing System|
|1||In batch processing processor only needs to busy when work is assigned to it.||In real time processing processor needs to very responsive and active all the time.|
|2||Jobs with similar requirements are batched together and run through the computer as a group.||In this system, events mostly external to computer system are accepted and processed within certain deadlines.|
|3||Completion time is not critical in batch processing.||Time to complete the task is very critical in real-time|
|4||It provides most economical and simplest processing method for business applications.||Complex and costly processing requires unique hardware and software to handle complex operating system programs.|
|5||Normal computer specification can also work with batch processing.||Real-time processing needs high computer architecture and high hardware specification.|
|6||In this processing there is no time limit.||It has to handle a process within the specified time limit otherwise the system fails.|
|7||It is measurement oriented.||It is action or event oriented.|
|8||In this system sorting is performed before processing.||No sorting is required.|
|9||In this system data is collected for defined period of time and is processed in batches.||Supports random data input at random time.|
|10||Examples of batch processing are transactions of credit cards, generation of bills, processing of input and output in the operating system etc.||Examples of real-time processing are bank ATM transactions, customer services, radar system, weather forecasts, temperature measurement etc.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Hard real time and Soft real time system
- Difference between Real-time Tasks and Non-Real-time Tasks
- Difference between Firm Real-time Tasks and Soft Real-time Tasks
- Difference between Delay and Deadline Constraint in Real-time System
- Difference between Time Sharing OS and Real-Time OS
- Difference between Periodic and Aperiodic Real-time Tasks
- Difference between Periodic and Sporadic Real-time Tasks
- Difference between Relative and Absolute Deadline of Real-time Task
- Difference between Sporadic and Aperiodic Real-time Tasks
- Real Time Operating System (RTOS)
- Applications of Real-time System
- Basic Model of a Real-time System
- Timing Constraints in Real-time System
- Feedback Structure of a Real-time System
- Embedded Real-time System
- Classification of Events in Real-time System
- Least Slack Time (LST) scheduling Algorithm in real-time systems
- Real Time Systems
- Tasks in Real Time systems
- Resource Reservation Protocol in Real-time Systems
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.