Apache Tomcat server: Apache Tomcat is a web container. It allows the users to run Servlet and JAVA Server Pages that are based on the web-applications. It can be used as the HTTP server. The performance of the Tomcat server is not as good as the designated web server. It can be used as separate product with its own internal Web-server. It can also be used as mutually with the others Web-servers which include Apache, Microsoft Internet Information Server, and Microsoft Personal Web-server.
Apache Web server: Apache web-server is designed to create the web-servers. It can host one or more HTTP based web-servers. It is used by the various web-hosting companies for the mutual web-hosting. It is the oldest web-server.
Difference between the Apache Tomcat server and Apache web server:
Apache Tomcat Server
Apache Web Server
|This server is a JSP/Servlet container.||This server is a HTTP server. It serves the files through the HTTP protocol.|
|It can handle both static pages and dynamic pages. The static pages are generated using HTML. The dynamic pages are generated using Servlet and JSP.||It can handle static pages which are generated using HTML. It can handle dynamic content which are coded in PHP, Ruby or other languages only through add-on modules offered by Apache or any other client.|
|It can be used only for hosting JAVA based code.||It can be used to host applications written in any programming language.|
|It is not capable for the requests/response processing. It is the container that can manage the entire lifecycle of the pages which are generated hrough the Servlet & JSP.||It is capable of request/ response & load balancing.|
|It can be coded in pure JAVA.||It is only coded in C programming language.|
- Embedding Tomcat Server in Maven Project
- Difference between Web Content, Web Structure, and Web Usage Mining
- Hot and Cold Deployment in Tomcat
- Difference between Web Browser and Web Server
- Difference Between Apache Kafka and Apache Flume
- Difference Between Apache Hadoop and Apache Storm
- Difference Between Apache Hive and Apache Impala
- Difference between Apache Hive and Apache Spark SQL
- Web 1.0, Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 with their difference
- Difference Between Web server and Application server
- How to choose Web Hosting Server and Web Domain ?
- Difference between Web Scraping and Web Crawling
- Difference between Web Designer and Web Developer
- Difference between Deep Web and Dark Web
- Differences between Web Services and Web API
- AWS EC2 Instance Setup with Apache Server
- How to install Apache server in Ubuntu ?
- How to run two PHP versions for two projects on same apache server ?
- Progressive Web App - A Combination of Native and Web App
- 10 Web Development and Web Design Facts That You Should Know
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.