Do you ever think of what it’s like to build anything like a brain, how these things work, or what do they do? Let us look at how nodes communicate with neurons and what are some differences between artificial and biological neural networks.
1. Artificial Neural Network :
Artificial Neural Network (ANN) is a type of neural network which is based on a Feed-Forward strategy. It is called this because they pass information through the nodes continuously till it reaches the output node. This is also known as the simplest type of neural network.
Some advantages of ANN :
- Ability to learn irrespective of the type of data (Linear or Non-Linear).
- ANN is highly volatile and serves best in financial time series forecasting.
Some disadvantages of ANN :
- The simplest architecture makes it difficult to explain the behavior of the network.
- This network is dependent on hardware.
2. Biological Neural Network :
Biological Neural Network (BNN) is a structure that consists of Synapse, dendrites, cell body, and axon. In this neural network, the processing is carried out by neurons. Dendrites receive signals from other neurons, Soma sums all the incoming signals and axon transmits the signals to other cells.
Some advantages of BNN :
- The synapses are the input processing element.
- It is able to process highly complex parallel inputs.
Some disadvantages of BNN :
- There is no controlling mechanism.
- Speed of processing is slow being it complex.
Differences between ANN and BNN :
|1.||It is short for Artificial Neural Network.||It is short for Biological Neural Network.|
|2.||Processing speed is fast as compared to Biological Neural Network.||They are slow in processing information.|
|3.||Allocation for Storage to a new process is strictly irreplaceable as the old location is saved for the previous process.||Allocation for storage to a new process is easy as it is added just by adjusting the interconnection strengths.|
|4.||Processes operate in sequential mode.||The process can operate in massive parallel operations.|
|5.||If any information gets corrupted in the memory it cannot be retrieved.||Information is distributed into the network throughout into sub-nodes, even if it gets corrupted it can be retrieved.|
|6.||The activities are continuously monitored by a control unit.||There is no control unit to monitor the information being processed into the network.|