1. Adware :
Adware is not exactly malicious but they do breach privacy of the users for malicious purpose. They display ads (a pop up window appear) on computer’s desktop or inside individual programs. They mainly come attached with free to use software, thus main source of revenue for such developers. They basically monitor your interests and display relevant ads. An attacker may embed malicious code inside the software and adware can monitor your system activities and can even compromise your machine.
2. Ransomware :
Ransomware is a type of malware that is designed to block user access from own system until a ransom fee is paid to ransomware creator. Ransomware is a lot dangerous than a regular malware and spread through phishing emails having infected attachments. Ransomware has emerged over the last few years and can attack individuals or organizations.
Difference between Adware and Ransomware :
|1.||Adware is similar to a spyware and it can be both intrusive and difficult to eradicate.||Ransomware is a form of malware designed to block access from system until a ransom fee is paid.|
|2.||Adware is less harmful than ransomware.||Ransomware is more harmful compared.|
|3.||The main objective of adware is to monitor your interests and display relevant ads.||The main objective of ransomware is to take money by gaining access.|
|4.||It provides profit to the developer by generating online advertisement.||It also provides profit to the attacker by demanding money in return.|
|5.||It is unknowingly attached with free to use software, distributed through pop-up windows.||It is generally spread through phishing emails having malicious attachments.|
|6.||Fireball, Appearch, Gator and dollarrevenue are some of the examples of adware.||Crypto, Wanna Cry, Cerber and locker are some of the examples of Ransomwares.|
|7.||Adware can be detected and removed by the antivirus program.||Ransomware is more harmful among all the malware as the only way of removal is to pay a ransom to its creator.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Malware and Adware
- Difference between Trojan Horse and Adware
- Difference between Adware and Spyware
- Difference between Worms and Adware
- Difference between Virus and Adware
- Difference between Scareware and Adware
- Difference between Rootkit and Adware
- Difference between Malware and Ransomware
- Difference between Virus and Ransomware
- Difference between Spyware and Ransomware
- Difference between Trojan Horse and Ransomware
- Difference between Worms and Ransomware
- Difference between Scareware and Ransomware
- Difference between Rootkit and Ransomware
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between Stop and Wait, GoBackN and Selective Repeat
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
- Difference between Yaacomo and and XAP
- Difference between VoIP and and POTS
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.