Prerequisite – Types of Security attacks | Active and Passive attacks
Active attacks are the type of attacks in which, The attacker efforts to change or modify the content of messages. Active Attack is danger for Integrity as well as availability. Due to active attack system is always damaged and System resources can be changed. The most important thing is that, In active attack, Victim gets informed about the attack.
Passive Attacks are the type of attacks in which, The attacker observes the content of messages or copy the content of messages. Passive Attack is danger for Confidentiality. Due to passive attack, there is no any harm to the system. The most important thing is that In passive attack, Victim does not get informed about the attack.
Difference between Active Attack and Passive Attack:
|S.NO||Active Attack||Passive Attack|
|1.||In active attack, Modification in information take place.||While in passive attack, Modification in the information does not take place.|
|2.||Active Attack is danger for Integrity as well as availability.||Passive Attack is danger for Confidentiality.|
|3.||In active attack attention is on detection.||While in passive attack attention is on prevention.|
|4.||Due to active attack system is always damaged.||While due to passive attack, there is no any harm to the system.|
|5.||In active attack, Victim gets informed about the attack.||While in passive attack, Victim does not get informed about the attack.|
|6.||In active attack, System resources can be changed.||While in passive attack, System resources are not change.|
|7.||Active attack influence the services of the system.||While in passive attack, information and messages in the system or network are acquired.|
|8.||In active attack, information collected through passive attacks are used during executing.||While passive attack are performed by collecting the information such as passwords, messages by itself.|
|9.||Active attack is tough to restrict from entering systems or networks.||Passive Attack is easy to prohibited in comparison to active attack.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Active and Passive FTP
- Difference between Active Matrix LCD and Passive Matrix LCD
- Difference between Active Transducer and Passive Transducer
- Active and Passive attacks in Information Security
- Difference between :focus and :active selector
- Difference between Threat and Attack
- Difference between DOS and DDOS attack
- Gigabit Passive Optical Networks (GPON) Fundamentals
- Introduction of Active Directory Domain Services
- Active Directory PenTesting
- XML External Entity (XXE) and Billion Laughs attack
- Denial of Service DDoS attack
- Birthday attack in Cryptography
- Sybil Attack
- Selective forwarding Attack in wireless Sensor Network
- Wormhole Attack in Wireless Sensor Networks
- Brute Force Attack
- What is a Dictionary Attack?
- Sinkhole Attack in Wireless Sensor Networks
- US Maritime Attack
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : ashushrma378