In this section, we will see some differences between Intel 8080 MPU, and Intel 8085 MPU.
The Intel 8080 microprocessor was the predecessor of the 8085. Both was designed and manufactured by Intel, Both was an 8-bit Microprocessor.
Intel 8080 Microprocessor was released on April 1974 and Intel 8085 Microprocessor was introduced in 1976. 8085 is very close to the 8080 microprocessor, but some slight changes and modifications are present.
Difference between 8080 and 8085 Microprocessor :
|Sr.No.||8080 microprocessor||8085 microprocessor|
|1||There is 8 dedicated pins are there as Data bus (D0 to D7).||There is multiplexed 8 bit data pins are present for data bus (AD0 to AD7).|
|2||There is 16 address pins are present (A0 to A15).||There is 8 pins Higher order Address bus (A8 to A15) and 8 multiplexed address bus (AD0 to AD7), and the Address Latch Enable (ALE) pins are present.|
|3||The power supply voltage is +5, -5 and +12 volts.||The power supply is only +5 volts.|
|4||Single Interrupt pins are there (INT).||With INT, there are four more interrupt pins (TRAP, RST7.5, RST6.5, RST5.5).|
|5||Serial Communication facility is not present.||The Serial Communication facility is present with SID, SOD Pins and RIM, SIM instructions.|
|6||Additional chips for Clock and system controlling is needed.||No additional chips are needed for clock and system controlling tasks.|
|7||It consists of 5 flags (Sign Flag, Zero Flag, Auxiliary Carry Flag, Parity Flag, Carry Flag).||It also consists of 5 flags (Sign Flag, Zero Flag, Auxiliary Carry Flag, Parity Flag, Carry Flag).|
|8||Processor speed is upto 3.1 MHz.||Processor speed is upto 6 MHz.|
|9||8080 requires 8224 clock oscillator as well as 8228 system controller to operates.||8085 is functional with only latches and gates.|
|10||8080 supports upto 256 Input/Output(I/P) ports.||8085 also supports upto 256 Input/Output(I/P) ports.|
- Difference between SIM and RIM instructions in 8085 microprocessor
- Bus organization of 8085 microprocessor
- Pin diagram of 8085 microprocessor
- Registers of 8085 microprocessor
- Interrupts in 8085 microprocessor
- Arithmetic instructions in 8085 microprocessor
- Flag register in 8085 microprocessor
- Interface 8254 PIT with 8085 microprocessor
- Logical instructions in 8085 microprocessor
- Branching instructions in 8085 microprocessor
- Serial I/O Lines in 8085 Microprocessor
- Differences between 8085 and 8086 microprocessor
- Interface 8255 with 8085 microprocessor for addition
- Reset Accumulator (8085 & 8086 microprocessor)
- Data transfer instructions in 8085 microprocessor
- Interface 8255 with 8085 microprocessor for 1’s and 2’s complement of a number
- Subtract content of two ports by interfacing 8255 with 8085 microprocessor
- What's difference between Microcontroller (µC) and Microprocessor (µP)?
- 8259 PIC Microprocessor
- Introduction of Microprocessor
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.