The Database System is developed in the following phases:
- Phase-1: Requirements Collection Phase –
Goal of this phase is collecting correct requirements from stakeholders and users. This is only possible when user has a clear view of his needs. If user is not clear about his needs, entire process can go off track. The entire system is built on findings of this phase; hence, this is a very important stage. Following two kinds of requirements are collected in this phase:
- Data model requirements :
These deal with different pieces of data that need to be stored along with their relationships with one another. The data model requirements are represented using conceptual level data models, like entity/relationship model (ER model) and Unified Modelling Language (UML).
UML is more popular in case of large scale software development processes.
- Functional requirements :
This involves day-to-day tasks and operations that are undertaken by enterprise for which database is being developed. E.g. The functional requirements for a Hospital System would be: acquiring new medicines, maintaining doctor records, maintaining patient records, adding new patient records etc.
- Data model requirements :
- Phase-2: Data Model to Representational Model Conversion Phase –
In this phase, we need to convert the data model into a representational level model such as Relational Data Model and choose an RDBMS system (i.e., from the providers of the RDBMS system e.g. Oracle, DB2, MySQL) to create database.
- Phase-3: Functional Requirements to Application Programs Conversion Phase –
In this phase, high level languages (HLL), like C, C++, Java etc. are used in combination with SQL to communicate with the databases and modify them, to capture the day-to-day activities of the enterprise (for which the database system is being developed).
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Principal of Information System Security : Security System Development Life Cycle
- Difference between Generic Software Development and Custom Software Development
- Life Cycle Phases of Project Management
- RUP and its Phases
- Various Phases of RAD Model
- Different Phases of Formal Review
- Different Phases of Review Meeting
- Life Cycle Phases of Data Analytics
- Software Engineering | Jackson System Development (JSD)
- Software Engineering | Database application system life cycle
- Steps in Rapid Application Development (RAD) model
- Modern Principles Of Software Development
- Software Engineering | Rapid application development model (RAD)
- Software Engineering | Agile Development Models
- Software Engineering | Agile Software Development
- Software Engineering | Program Development Life Cycle (PDLC)
- Software Engineering | Software Business and Development
- Scrum (software development)
- Software Engineering | Identifying Software Development Metrics
- Adaptive Software Development (ASD)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.