What is destructor?
Destructor is a member function which destructs or deletes an object.
When is destructor called?
A destructor function is called automatically when the object goes out of scope:
(1) the function ends
(2) the program ends
(3) a block containing local variables ends
(4) a delete operator is called
How destructors are different from a normal member function?
Destructors have same name as the class preceded by a tilde (~)
Destructors don’t take any argument and don’t return anything
Can there be more than one destructor in a class?
No, there can only one destructor in a class with classname preceded by ~, no parameters and no return type.
When do we need to write a user-defined destructor?
If we do not write our own destructor in class, compiler creates a default destructor for us. The default destructor works fine unless we have dynamically allocated memory or pointer in class. When a class contains a pointer to memory allocated in class, we should write a destructor to release memory before the class instance is destroyed. This must be done to avoid memory leak.
Can a destructor be virtual?
Yes, In fact, it is always a good idea to make destructors virtual in base class when we have a virtual function. See virtual destructor for more details.
You may like to take a quiz on destructors.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Playing with Destructors in C++
- C++ Interview questions based on constructors/ Destructors.
- Delete all odd frequency elements from an Array
- Count number of even and odd length elements in an Array
- Find the percentage change in the area of a Rectangle
- Minimum swaps to make two strings equal by swapping only with third string
- Check if an Octal number is Even or Odd
- Generate an array using given conditions from a given array
- Check whether the number can be made palindromic after adding K
- Check if number formed by joining two Numbers is Perfect Cube
- Check if a number is divisible by 47 or not
- Check if a HexaDecimal number is Even or Odd
- Check if a number is divisible by 31 or not
- Longest Subsequence of a String containing only vowels