Tkinter supports a variety of methods to perform various tasks. It also offers some universal method.
destroy() is a universal widget method i.e we can use this method with any of the available widgets as well as with the main tkinter window.
widget_object = Widget(parent, command = widget_class_object.destroy)
This method can be used with after() method.
Code #1: destroy() method passed as command
As you may observe, in above code that the command that is passed in button-2 is to destroy button-1 so as soon as you press button-2, button-2 will get destroyed.
Code #2:destroy() method with after() method
From output you may see that both the widgets are destroyed after a certain time limit and only root window will be left empty.
Note: There is another method available
quit() which do not destroy widgets but it exits the tcl/tk interpreter i.e it stops the mainloop().
- wxPython - Destroy button widget using Destroy() function
- Python | geometry method in Tkinter
- Python | after method in Tkinter
- resizable() method in Tkinter | Python
- minsize() method in Tkinter | Python
- maxsize() method in Tkinter | Python
- iconphoto() method in Tkinter | Python
- Python | forget_pack() and forget_grid() method in Tkinter
- Python Tkinter | Moving objects using Canvas.move() method
- Python | place() method in Tkinter
- Python | pack() method in Tkinter
- Python | grid() method in Tkinter
- Python Tkinter | grid_location() and grid_size() method
- Place_forget() method using Tkinter in Python
- Python GUI - tkinter
- Python | askopenfile() function in Tkinter
- Python | Binding function in Tkinter
- Color game using Tkinter in Python
- Python | Message Encode-Decode using Tkinter
- Python - Tkinter askquestion Dialog
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.