Before going through the design issues in data link layer. Some of its sub-layers and their functions are as following below.
The data link layer is divided into two sub-layers :
- Logical Link Control Sub-layer (LLC) –
Provides the logic for the data link , Thus it controls the synchronization , flow control , and error checking functions of the data link layer. Functions are –
- (i) Error Recovery.
- (ii) It performs the flow control operations.
- (iii) User addressing.
- Media Access Control Sub-layer (MAC) –
It is the second sub-layer of data-link layer. It controls the flow and multiplexing for transmission medium. Transmission of data packets is controlled by this layer. This layer is responsible for sending the data over the network interface card.
Functions are –
- (i) To perform the control of access to media.
- (ii) It performs the unique addressing to stations directly connected to LAN.
- (iii) Detection of errors.
Design issues with data link layer are :
- Services provided to the network layer –
The data link layer act as a service interface to the network layer. The principle service is transferring data from network layer on sending machine to the network layer on destination machine. This transfer also takes place via DLL (Dynamic Link Library).
- Frame synchronization –
The source machine sends data in the form of blocks called frames to the destination machine. The starting and ending of each frame should be identified so that the frame can be recognized by the destination machine . .
- Flow control –
Flow control is done to prevent the flow of data frame at the receiver end. The source machine must not send data frames at a rate faster than the capacity of destination machine to accept them.
- Error control –
Error control is done to prevent duplication of frames. The errors introduced during transmission from source to destination machines must be detected and corrected at the destination machine.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Design Issues in Network Layer
- Design issues in Session Layer
- Design Issues in Presentation Layer
- Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP) and Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) in Data Link Layer
- Framing in Data Link Layer
- Data Link Layer Communication Protocols in IoT
- Responsibilities and Design issues of MAC Protocol
- Design Issues of Distributed System
- What is ODI(Open Data link Interface)?
- Difference between Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS)
- Difference between layer-2 and layer-3 switches
- Difference Between High-level Data Link Control (HDLC) and Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)
- Wireless Media Access Issues in Internet of Things
- TCP and UDP in Transport Layer
- Fragmentation at Network Layer
- Supernetting in Network Layer
- Switch functions at layer 2
- Protocols in Application Layer
- Transport Layer responsibilities
- Traceroute in Network Layer
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.