Flask is a web application framework written in Python. Flask is based on the Werkzeug WSGI toolkit and Jinja2 template engine. Both are Pocco projects. This article revolves around how to deploy a flask app on Heroku. To demonstrate this, we are first going to create a sample application for a better understanding of the process.
- Heroku CLI
Deploying Flask App on Heroku
Let’s create a simple flask application first and then it can be deployed to heroku. Create a folder named “eflask” and open the command line and cd inside the “eflask” directory. Follow the following steps to create the sample application for this tutorial.
STEP 1 : Create a virtual environment with pipenv and install Flask and Gunicorn .
$ pipenv install flask gunicorn
STEP 2 : Create a “Procfile” and write the following code.
$ touch Procfile
$ touch runtime.txt
STEP 4 : Create a folder named “app” and enter the folder.
$ mkdir app $ cd app
STEP 5 : Create a python file, “main.py” and enter the sample code.
STEP 6 :Get back to the previous directory “eflask”.Create a file“wsgi.py” and insert the following code.
$ cd ../ $ touch wsgi.py
STEP 7 : Run the vitual environment.
$ pipenv shell
STEP 8 : Initialize an empty repo, add the files in the repo and commit all the changes.
$ git init $ git add . $ git commit -m "Initial Commit"
STEP 9 : Login to heroku CLI using
Now, Create a unique name for your Web app.
$ heroku create eflask-app
STEP 10 : Push your code from local to the heroku remote.
$ git push heroku master
Finally, web app will be deployed on http://eflask-app.herokuapp.com.
- Deploy Machine Learning Model using Flask
- Python | Using for loop in Flask
- Subdomain in Flask | Python
- Todo list app using Flask | Python
- Create a Weather app using Flask | Python
- Python | 404 Error handling in Flask
- Python | Introduction to Web development using Flask
- Python | Build a REST API using Flask
- Introduction and Installation of Heroku CLI on Windows machine
- How to upload Laravel App to Heroku Cloud Application Platform
- How to Deploy Your React Websites on GitHub?
- Dockerize your Flask App
- Differences Between Django vs Flask
- Sending Emails Using API in Flask-Mail
- Flask - (Creating first simple application)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.