Flask is a web application framework written in Python. Flask is based on the Werkzeug WSGI toolkit and Jinja2 template engine. Both are Pocco projects. This article revolves around how to deploy a flask app on Heroku. To demonstrate this, we are first going to create a sample application for a better understanding of the process.
- Heroku CLI
Deploying Flask App on Heroku
Let’s create a simple flask application first and then it can be deployed to heroku. Create a folder named “eflask” and open the command line and cd inside the “eflask” directory. Follow the following steps to create the sample application for this tutorial.
STEP 1 : Create a virtual environment with pipenv and install Flask and Gunicorn .
$ pipenv install flask gunicorn
STEP 2 : Create a “Procfile” and write the following code.
$ touch Procfile
$ touch runtime.txt
STEP 4 : Create a folder named “app” and enter the folder.
$ mkdir app $ cd app
STEP 5 : Create a python file, “main.py” and enter the sample code.
STEP 6 :Get back to the previous directory “eflask”.Create a file“wsgi.py” and insert the following code.
$ cd ../ $ touch wsgi.py
STEP 7 : Run the vitual environment.
$ pipenv shell
STEP 8 : Initialize an empty repo, add the files in the repo and commit all the changes.
$ git init $ git add . $ git commit -m "Initial Commit"
STEP 9 : Login to heroku CLI using
Now, Create a unique name for your Web app.
$ heroku create eflask-app
STEP 10 : Push your code from local to the heroku remote.
$ git push heroku master
Finally, web app will be deployed on http://eflask-app.herokuapp.com.
- Deploy Machine Learning Model using Flask
- Subdomain in Flask | Python
- Python | Using for loop in Flask
- Python | 404 Error handling in Flask
- Python | Build a REST API using Flask
- Python | Introduction to Web development using Flask
- Todo list app using Flask | Python
- Create a Weather app using Flask | Python
- Introduction and Installation of Heroku CLI on Windows machine
- How to upload Laravel App to Heroku Cloud Application Platform
- How to Deploy Your React Websites on GitHub?
- Guide to deploy containers on Google Cloud Run
- Dockerize your Flask App
- Differences Between Django vs Flask
- Deploying a TensorFlow 2.1 CNN model on the web with Flask
- Flask - (Creating first simple application)
- Sending Emails Using API in Flask-Mail
- Setup API for GeeksforGeeks user data using WebScraping and Flask
- Deploy cloud function on Google Cloud Platform
- Python - Read blob object in python using wand library
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.