Delete View refers to a view (logic) to delete a particular instance of a table from the database. It is used to delete enteries in the database for example, deleting an article at geeksforgeeks. We have already discussed basics of Delete View in Delete View – Function based Views Django. Class-based views provide an alternative way to implement views as Python objects instead of functions. They do not replace function-based views, but have certain differences and advantages when compared to function-based views:
- Organization of code related to specific HTTP methods (GET, POST, etc.) can be addressed by separate methods instead of conditional branching.
- Object oriented techniques such as mixins (multiple inheritance) can be used to factor code into reusable components.
Class based views are simpler and efficient to manage than function-based views. A function based view with tons of lines of code can be converted into a class based views with few lines only. This is where Object Oriented Programming comes into impact.
Django DeleteView – Class Based Views
Illustration of How to create and use DeleteView using an Example. Consider a project named
geeksforgeeks having an app named
Refer to the following articles to check how to create a project and an app in Django.
After you have a project and an app, let’s create a model of which we will be creating instances through our view. In
After creating this model, we need to run two commands in order to create Database for the same.
Python manage.py makemigrations Python manage.py migrate
Now let’s create some instances of this model using shell, run form bash,
Python manage.py shell
Enter following commands
>>> from geeks.models import GeeksModel >>> GeeksModel.objects.create( title="title1", description="description1").save() >>> GeeksModel.objects.create( title="title2", description="description2").save() >>> GeeksModel.objects.create( title="title2", description="description2").save()
Now we have everything ready for back end. Verify that instances have been created from http://localhost:8000/admin/geeks/geeksmodel/
Class Based Views automatically setup everything from A to Z. One just needs to specify which model to create DeleteView for, then Class based DeleteViewde will automatically try to find a template in
app_name/modelname_confirm_delete.html. In our case it is
geeks/templates/geeks/geeksmodel_confirm_delete.html. Let’s create our class based view. In
Now create a url path to map the view. In geeks/urls.py,
Create a template in
Let’s check what is there on http://localhost:8000/1/delete
Tap confirm and object will redirect to
success_url defined in the view. Let’s check if title1 is deleted from database.
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- Createview - Class Based Views Django
- ListView - Class Based Views Django
- UpdateView - Class Based Views Django
- DetailView - Class Based Views Django
- FormView - Class Based Views Django
- Class Based Generic Views Django (Create, Retrieve, Update, Delete)
- Create View - Function based Views Django
- Update View - Function based Views Django
- Delete View - Function based Views Django
- List View - Function based Views Django
- Django CRUD (Create, Retrieve, Update, Delete) Function Based Views
- Detail View - Function based Views Django
- Views In Django | Python
- Render a HTML Template as Response - Django Views
- Built-in Error Views in Django
- Connect Django Project to MongoDB using Django
- Styling Django Forms with django-crispy-forms
- Adding Tags Using Django-Taggit in Django Project
- Creating views on Pandas DataFrame
- Creating views on Pandas DataFrame | Set - 2
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.