While designing an application it could potentially consume a lot of space/memory if care is not taken when closing widgets. The QObject-based classes are designed to be (optionally) linked together in a hierarchy. When a top-level object is deleted, Qt will automatically delete all its child objects as well. However, when closing widgets, automatic deletion will only happen if the
Qt.WA_DeleteOnClose attribute is set (which, by default, it usually isn’t).
In PyQt5, there are two aspects to object ownership: the Python part, and the Qt part. Often, removing the last Python reference to an object won’t be enough to fully clean up, because there could still be a reference held on the Qt side. In general, Qt tends not to implicitly delete objects. So if your application creates and removes lots of Widgets, you may need to take steps to delete them explicitly if memory usage is a concern.
deleteLater() method allows us to explicitly delete the reference of the widget.
Syntax : widget.deleteLater()
Argument : It takes no argument.
Action performed : It deletes/remove the reference of the widget from the memory.
It will delete the reference associated with the label widget from memory.
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- PyQt5 – How to hide label | label.setHidden method
- PyQt5 - lower() method for Labels
- setGeometry method - Pyqt5
- setToolTip method in PyQt5
- move() method in PyQt5
- clear() method in PyQt5
- PyQt5 – How to change text of pre-existing label | setText method
- PyQt5 – How to change size of the Label | label.resize method
- PyQt5 – How to clear the content of label | clear and setText method
- close() method in PyQt5
- Set Window Icon Text in PyQt5 | setWindowIconText() method
- PyQt5 – What's this help text for Label | setWhatsThis() method
- PyQt5 - Get opacity level of the main window | windowOpacity() method
- PyQt5 – How to stop resizing of window | setFixedSize() method
- PyQt5 – How to set tooltip duration for Label | setToolTipDuration method
- PyQt5 – How to set minimum size of window | setMinimumSize method
- PyQt5 – Set minimum window size | setMinimumWidth and setMinimumHeight method
- PyQt5 – Access tool tip duration of label | ToolTipDuration method
- PyQt5 – Get tooltip data of label | toolTip() method
- PyQt5 – rect() method
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.