Defect prevention is a very crucial but important step in Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC). Defects generally cause software to fail to meet requirements and decrease software quality. It also involves different structured problem-solving methodologies simply to identify, analyze, and prevent occurrence of defects. DP basically involves following activities :
- Understand and know about mechanisms simply for defect detection and prevention.
- To know about how to collect, categorize and use information related to defect.
- To determine and find where to apply lessons learned.
- Root cause analysis.
- To apply defect prevention process.
Defect Prevention Responsibility :
There are different DP responsibilities for testers as given below :
- Requirement Specification Review :
Before software development, one should know what customers actually want, what are their requirements, their needs. This is because, after all, customer satisfaction is main goal. Therefore, software products should fulfill and satisfy customers requirements. Testers are generally responsible to understand and gather requirements of users or customers. Some of customers requirements are not realistic and therefore cannot be fulfilled. After understanding and knowledge about customers’ requirements, testers should prepare a requirements gist i.e. quick summary of essential requirements that are necessary and important to be considered. Firstly, test team review requirements at initial level. Secondly, Dev or client performs external review at another level to simply make sure that all perspectives i.e. overall design of software product are in sync (matches customers’ requirements) or not.
- Design Review :
Design review is also one of main responsibilities of testers. In this review, design of software products is firstly evaluated and checked that whether or not it is up to requirement of customers. This is simply done to verify the outcome of previous activities. At this, if any defect is found, then it can be fixed before going further. Design review can be considered as feasibility study for strategy.
- Code Review :
Code review is also a responsibility of tester but it’s not that much important. This is one of best methods to identify defects at an early stage of development simply through peer-reviewing someone’s code. Testers should be considered among peers who review code. Developers usually perform code inspections, walkthroughs, and reviews before they unit and integrate test application.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Roles and Responsibilities of Participants of Defect Triage Process
- Defect prevention Role and Responsibility of Team
- Different steps involved in Defect Prevention
- Defect Prevention in Software Engineering
- Defect Prevention Methods and Techniques
- Different Defect States available in Defect Life Cycle
- Software Engineering | Role and Responsibilities of a software Project Manager
- Software Engineering | Responsibilities of Software Project Manager
- Project Organizations and their Responsibilities
- Roles and Responsibilities in Review
- Ethical Responsibilities of Reviewer
- Defect Priority
- Software Engineering | Differences between defect, bug and failure
- Categories of Software Defect
- Defect Severity
- Different participants of Defect Life Cycle
- Steps in Defect Triage Process
- Defect Triage Meeting
- Defect Triage Report Format
- Activities Performed during Defect Triage Process
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.