We know that technology cannot guarantee that there won’t be any occurrence of defects. Therefore, they should be a way to identified defects at early stage before the cost required to fix it becomes more expensive. For this reason, defect has been discovered when particular defect is reported to development team and further developers acknowledge that defect is valid or not.
A Defect is not necessarily been considered to be discovered when testers identify a problem within the software. To get defect discovered, testers need to report defect to developers’ team and then development team further acknowledge that defect is valid.
Steps in Defect Discovery :
Defect discovery generally takes place in three steps :
- Discover Defect :
Discover defect simply means identification of defect before it causes major problems to system and before releasing the product to customer. Not all defect that is identified is considered discovered. Some of the defects are not valid at all.
- Report Defect :
Testers report the defect for development team acknowledgment so that defect can be analyzed and fixed. These defect reports can be handwritten or electronic reports. To make defect report good, it is necessary to provide information as many as possible to development team to reproduce defect. More will be the information shared by test team, easier it will be for the development team to identify the problem and find ways to fix it.
- Accept Defect :
It is not necessary that all defects that are being reported are valid. Therefore, Developers accept defect if it is valid otherwise reject defect. If this acknowledgment of defect takes place at a late stage, then it might be costly. It the defect is valid, then development team further resolve defect and minimize its impact on the system.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Different Defect States available in Defect Life Cycle
- Software Engineering | Differences between defect, bug and failure
- Defect Prevention in Software Engineering
- Software Engineering | Introduction to Software Engineering
- Categories of Software Defect
- Software Engineering | Requirements Engineering Process
- Software Engineering | Re-engineering
- Software Engineering | Reverse Engineering
- Difference between Software Engineering process and Conventional Engineering Processs
- Defect Priority
- Defect Severity
- Defect prevention Role and Responsibility of Team
- Roles and Responsibilities of Participants of Defect Triage Process
- Different participants of Defect Life Cycle
- Steps in Defect Triage Process
- Defect Triage Meeting
- Defect Triage Report Format
- Activities Performed during Defect Triage Process
- Different States of Defect and Workflow
- Guidelines to establish Defect Life Cycle
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.