D E Shaw Interview Experience | Set 13 (On-Campus)
- 1st Round (On Paper)
(+ 4 mark for each correct and – 1 for wrong ans)
Section 1 – Logical Aptitude 20 questions for 20 minutes
Section 2 – Technical 20 questions for 20 minutes ( C, C++, Java O/P questions, OS, Networking etc.)
Section 3 – One Coding Question for 20 minutes
It was a Dyanamic Programming problem. We were given a 2-D matrix of size [n*m] having time to cross each block and some blocks were containing ‘X’ denoting a bomb. We had to find minimum time of reaching to [n-1 , m-1] from [0 , 0] without passing through any bomb.
16 students were selected for interview rounds.
- 2nd Round (HR interview) [20-25 mins]
- Tell me something about yourself.
- Feedback about written round paper.
- Your ambition in life.
- He asked me to solve 2 aptitude questions from written round and matched the answers from my
- Why you want to join DE Shaw?
- 3rd Round (Technical interview-1) [35-40 mins]
- My written round code was not 100% correct So, he asked me to find the error in my code and
then asked to write the correct code.
- Given a 2-D matrix of 0,1 in such a way that each row has 1’s in beginning and then all 0’s.
1 1 1 1 0 0 0
1 1 0 0 0 0 0
1 1 1 1 1 0 0
1 1 1 0 0 0 0
He asked me to write a code to find the row with maximum number of 1’s.
- Difference b/w TCP and UDP. Where is UDP used?
- Which is Layer-2 in OSI Model and it’s functionality.
- What is the functioning of Switch.
- Difference b/w port and socket.
- Basics of Socket Programming.
- Difference b/w process and thread. He gave a scenario and asked what to use process or thread in
- Congestion Control in TCP.
- Puzzle – 2 player game, each one can choose any value between 1-10. Value of each turn of both players will be summed. When sum reaches 50 that player wins. He asked me to make a strategy for player A to win.
- Difference between const int *p and int const *p.
8 students were selected for final round of interview.
- 4th Round (Technical interview – 2) [1 hour]
It was 3 AM in night, he asked how tiring was your 15 hrs long interview process.
- Given a table having [EmployeeId, EmpName, ManagerId], he asked to write a SQL query to print name of each employee with his manager’s name.
- What is a trigger? Why is it used?
- Can a trigger be written for select query?
- What is a cursor?
- Difference b/w SQL and PL/SQL.
- What is a view? Insertion and deletion in a view.
- Why is indexing done in DBMS? Types of indexing.
- There is an infinite stream of blocks. A random block in b/w is a ditch. A kangaroo is sitting in any block. Kangaroo will jump N times in total, ith jump will be of either I blocks or 0 blocks.
What will be the maximum distance kangaroo can cover from starting point.
- Program to reverse a singly linked list by recursion.
- A 2-D matrix of 0,1 is given. 0’s denote water and 1’s denote land.
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0
0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0
0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Write a code to count Number of islands. Islands can be of any random shape. Any two adjacent 1’s (in any of 8 directions) are part of same island.
- He asked my ranks on Codechef , Codeforces , Spoj etc.
GeeksforGeeks helped me a lot in my placement session. Practice all GeeksQuiz questions and read all interview experiences on geeks at least once.
All the Best!!
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.