::-webkit-scrollbar is a pseudo-element in CSS employed to modify the look of a browser’s scrollbar.
Before we start with how it works and how can it be implemented, we need to know some facts about the element.
- Browsers like Chrome, Safari and Opera support this standard
- Browsers like firefox don’t support this
For the webkit browsers, you can use the following pseudo elements to customize the browser’s scrollbar:
- ::-webkit-scrollbar : the scrollbar
- ::-webkit-scrollbar-button : the arrows that point up or down on the scrollbar
- ::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb : the scrolling handle that can be dragged
- ::-webkit-scrollbar-track : progress bar
- ::-webkit-scrollbar-track-piece : the area not covered by the handle
- ::-webkit-scrollbar-corner : the bottom corner of the scrollbar where vertical and horizontal scrollbars meet
- ::-webkit-resizer : the draggable resizing handle that appears at the bottom corner of some elements
The following example takes each and every element and explains its proper usage (I have also tried to use different colors for each element so that the purpose of each tag can be highlighted separately):
Supported Browsers: The browsers supported by CSS | ::-webkit-scrollbar are listed below:
- Google Chrome
- Apple Safari
- How to Upload Image into Database and Display it using PHP ?
- How to convert an existing callback to a promise in Node.js ?
- Node.js | Buffer.equals() Method
- How to use a div as content for Twitter's Popover?
- How to change favicon dynamically?
- How to count number of notification on an icon?
- Creating a simple JSON based API using Node.js
- How to detect Browser Language in PHP?
- Node.js | fs.readFile() Method
- How to Create a Facebook Phishing Page ?
- HTML width/height Attribute vs CSS width/height Property
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.