The left property in CSS is used to specify the horizontal position of a positioned element. It has no effect on non-positioned elements.
- If position property is absolute or fixed, the left property specifies the distance between the element left edge and the left edge of its containing block.
- If position property is relative, the left property specifies the distance of element left edge is moved to the right from its normal position.
- If position property is sticky, the left property behaves like its position is relative when the element is inside the viewport, and like its position is fixed when it is outside.
- If position property is static, the left property has no effect.
- If both left and right properties are defined, the left value has precedence when the container is left-to-right and the right value has precedence when the container is right-to-left.
- length: It is used to specify the length of left property. It accepts positive and negative values.
- percentage: It specifies the width of the containing block in percentage.
- auto:It is used to set left property to its default value.
- initial: It is used to specify the left property to its default value.
- inherit: It sets the left property from its parent.
Example 1 : This example describes the position property to absolute.
Note: The containers of initial and inherit overlap because of having similar dimensions and value defaults.
Example 2: This example describes the position property to relative.
Supported Browsers: The browser supported by left property are listed below:
- Google Chrome 1.0
- Internet Explorer 5.5
- Firefox 1.0
- Safari 1.0
- Opera 5.0
- CSS | nav-left property
- Web API | DOMRect left property
- CSS | padding-left Property
- CSS | margin-left Property
- CSS | border-left Property
- CSS | border-left-style Property
- CSS | border-top-left-radius Property
- HTML | DOM Style left Property
- CSS | border-left-color Property
- CSS | border-left-width Property
- CSS border-bottom-left-radius Property
- Number of chocolates left after k iterations
- How to move an element to left, right, up and down using arrow keys ?
- How to distinguish left and right mouse click using jQuery?
- How to create slide left and right toggle effect using jQuery?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.